by Autumn Taylor

5 Reasons Why Freshman Orientation Is So Important

By Autumn Taylor - Jul 04 2017

So you’ve applied, been accepted and now you’re all ready to go off to college. Well, not quite. There’s still one step everyone should take beforehand: attend freshman orientation. This is one of the most important days you will have in order to prepare yourself for college life, and here’s why.

1. You get an in-depth campus tour.

I’m assuming you’ve already had a tour of your school’s campus, so you might think you don’t need another one. That is entirely untrue, especially if you are going to a larger university. The more preparation you get, the better off and less stressed you’ll be when classes begin. In addition, the tours at orientation are usually led by upper-year students. This means they can tell you the real deal on how to get around campus, any short cuts and what buildings are where, which leads me into my next point.

2. You meet current students.

Having the opportunity to meet and talk with students who already go to the school is great. If you ever have a question about how something works, the classes or where the best spot to get good food is, there’s no one better to ask than a current student. They are honest and tell you how it really is. Relax, it’s usually nothing bad. It’s mostly just how the different faculty and professors act, which reminds me of the next reason.

3. You meet your advisor/professors.

Depending on your school, you might get to meet some professors and your advisor. Your advisor is one of the most important people you will have in your college career. Universities usually assign you to one based on your major. This person’s whole job is to make sure you succeed and pass all of your classes. If you have any questions about your major, internships or what classes you should be taking, your advisor is your go-to guy/girl. Nice, huh?

4. You register for classes.

Speaking of your classes, you actually get to register for them at orientation. I highly recommend you take advantage of this. Having one-on-one help with designing your schedule with your advisor is invaluable. Also, some schools have entering freshmen be the first to pick their classes. This means you get first dibs at the classes and professors you want, and you won’t be stuck with only classes that start at 8 a.m.

5. It suddenly feels real.

After you have your printed schedule in hand, it dawns on you that you’re a college student. It might not have hit you until this moment, but once you have that piece of paper, it suddenly feels real. You realize you’re about to embark on this amazing journey at your new home, and you couldn’t be more ecstatic. You’re officially a college kid now.

There you have it: the top five reasons why freshman orientation is so important. Hopefully these helped you decide to attend your orientation and gave you an idea of what to expect. One last thing: don't forget to have fun! This is just the beginning of some of the best years of your life.

Lead Image Credit: Pexels

Autumn Taylor - University of Alabama

Autumn Taylor is a freshman at The University of Alabama majoring in Advertising. She is a lover of traveling, animals, and all things creative. Instagram: @autietayy