Display friends s4 10 123 378lo
by Ashley Flaws

The Best TV Shows to Watch With Your Significant Other, Your Family, And Your Friends

By Ashley Flaws - Jun 08 2016
These days, everyone and their dog are watching Netflix, and while I unfortunately do not have any recommendations as to what you and your furry friend can watch together, I do have some recommendations about what to watch with the other important people in your life. With so many options to choose from, it might take a while to pick what to watch, but that shouldn’t stop you from watching Netflix with your loved ones; in fact, I highly recommend spending quality time with your loved ones this summer, and what is a better way to do that than watching Netflix? So, that poses the question: what should you watch, and who should you watch it with?

1. With Your Boyfriend/Girlfriend

Anyone who is currently dating someone has probably realized that Netflix movies and TV shows are just too hard to agree on. You may not know what your partner likes yet, or you have been dating for so long and can't find anything new to watch. Your goal should be to try and find a show that will have elements that you and your boyfriend/girlfriend will both like, such as: comedy, romance, action and relatable plots. Shows that have sports as part of the plot are a great place to start. Suggest any of the following shows to your boyfriend/girlfriend next time you’re in a Netflix rut, and I promise that neither of you will be sorry:

-Friday Night Lights

-One Tree Hill

-Blue Mountain State

2. With Your Family

If you are anything like me, you want to spend as much time as possible with your family before leaving for college in a few months. Watching Netflix with your family when you get home from working hard all day or from hanging out at the pool with your friends could be the perfect way to wind down. Tell your family to meet you in the living room in five minutes, put on some comfy clothes, pop some popcorn and get Netflix fired up. For my family, crime shows have always been a hit because anyone can appreciate a little thrill and some mystery, no matter the age or gender. The following shows are the perfect way to spend a night-in with your family and a great excuse to spend time together, not that you need one, of course:

-Criminal Minds

-CSI: Miami

-Law & Order SVU

3. With Your Friends

Just like with your family, you will probably want to spend as much time as possible with your friends before all embarking on your different journeys. While you will probably want to spend your days out having fun, you may just want to spend some rainy days or nights in together enjoying each other’s company.  Try looking for shows with episodes that are only about 20 minutes long. The best thing about these shows is that after you become addicted to them, as I assure you you will, you can watch them apart from your friends and then meet up again and not feel left out because the episodes are short and don't usually pick up from where the previous one left off. Be ready to laugh your butt off at the following shows, and be thankful that you have such great people to do it with:

-New Girl

-How I Met Your Mother

Netflix is my go-to when I want to relax, but it has also become a great way for me to bond with the people that I love. Sometimes, just sitting and enjoying something together is all you really need. Whether you’re watching with your boyfriend/girlfriend, your family or your friends, you are now set for the rest of the summer. Spend your days getting tan and having a blast or working your butt off for some money for college, but let your nights be spent curled up on the couch with the people that you love the most, laughing and knowing that your bond will never go away.

Lead Image Credit: Warner Bros. Television

Ashley Flaws - Drake University

Ashley Flaws is a student from Webster City, Iowa attending Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. She has been in love with writing ever since second grade when she wrote a story about a boy and his cat. Since then, she has moved on from writing cat stories and is majoring in English and magazine media with the hopes of editing for a magazine someday. You can find her watching Netflix, eating junk food, obsessing over adorable, fat dogs and probably wearing the color pink.