Display 7d85ab96190d6d73b3a0e0bfc4b87a0a
by Ashley Flaws

8 Ways College is a Whole Lot Easier With Your Roomie by Your Side

By Ashley Flaws - Nov 01 2016

For some of us, being able to tolerate our roomies is enough, but for others, a friendship is needed to truly feel at home in our dorm rooms. Luckily for me, I have been able to develop a great friendship with my roommate, and without her by my side, I find it hard to picture how my first couple of months at college would have gone down. I have realized that life at college has been a lot easier with my roommate by my side, and it definitely comes with its perks.

1. We freely ask to share each other’s things.

One of the more obvious perks of getting along with your roommate is that what you forgot to pack, they are happy to provide. Whether it be scissors, dish soap or perhaps even clothes, having a roomie to share things with makes life a lot easier. Once you get past the awkward stage of wondering how to best ask your roommate to borrow something, you realize that you would willingly share your things with them, so it isn’t such a big deal. Plus, it is a lot easier to feel at home in your dorm room when you feel like you don’t have to tiptoe around your roomie’s things in fear that he or she might bite your head off.

giphy

2. We like having each other around.

Without a doubt, adjusting to a roommate is one of the hardest parts of transitioning to college because living with a stranger in a confined space is a new experience for most people. For that reason, it is so much easier to enjoy your roommate’s presence instead of resenting the fact that you have to share your space and time with them. If my roommate is home for the weekend or busy for the day, I start to look forward to seeing her again. 

giphy

3. However, we respect each other’s alone time.

Having my roommate around is nice, but having some time away from each other also helps our friendship because we don’t have to feel annoyed at always having each other around. Once you develop a friendship with your roommate, you respect each other’s privacy and time and are happy to give them some space. It is also a lot easier to communicate that you need some personal time to your roommate once you feel close enough that it won’t hurt their feelings or cause resentment.

4. We can tell each other pretty much anything about our days.

In high school, we had the privilege of coming home to our families after a long day of school and activities to relax and vent to them about our days. In college, we don’t necessarily have that same luxury if our roommates are people that we cannot talk to. A friendship means always being able to come back to your room with plenty to talk about with your roommate, and of course, that only strengthens your bond.

giphy

5. We do nice things for each other.

There is nothing better than coming back to my dorm room after a stressful day to find a note left by my roommate to help cheer me up. While not a necessity, living with someone who truly cares about you makes you miss home a little less and makes your bad days just a little bit better. Plus, returning the favor and being able to brighten your roommate’s day will make both of you happy.

giphy

6. We can be ourselves.

Nothing screams “I’m away from home,” like not being able to be yourself in your temporary home away from home, your dorm room. A judgmental roommate creates a very uncomfortable atmosphere that is far from homey, so it is always nice to have someone who accepts you as you are. No matter how messy your side of the room gets or how many times you let out a string of profanity during a particularly frustrating assignment, your roommate will never knock you down for it. Just remember that when their dirty clothes are piling up, you still love them.

giphy

7. We can procrastinate together.

Every college student knows that nothing is more reassuring than another college student who also has yet to complete their homework, and for those of us who are close with our roomies, we don’t need to look any further than our own rooms for a distraction. Whether it be an impromptu dance party or just venting about all of the crap you have to get done, your roommate is the perfect reminder that college, although stressful, is also a fun experience.

giphy

8. We never have to be lonely.

Above all else, I feel good knowing that my roommate will be by my side, whether I’m missing my family or just want someone to hang out with. For those of you who do feel close to your roommate, be grateful because not everyone can say the same. If your relationship with your roommate isn’t as strong as you would like it to be, some extra effort on your part will be well worth it, as the benefits are obvious. If you don’t think a friendship is in the cards for you, just stay strong because it will be a learning experience for you.

giphy

To my roommate, thanks for being an awesome friend and being by my side every step of the way! 

Lead Image Credit: The CW Television Network

Ashley Flaws - Drake University

Ashley Flaws is a student from Webster City, Iowa attending Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. She has been in love with writing ever since second grade when she wrote a story about a boy and his cat. Since then, she has moved on from writing cat stories and is majoring in English and magazine media with the hopes of editing for a magazine someday. You can find her watching Netflix, eating junk food, obsessing over adorable, fat dogs and probably wearing the color pink.