by Ashley Flaws

6 Ways to Enjoy Spring Break at Home

By Ashley Flaws - Mar 01 2017

Spring break is often depicted as college students swarming a beach and getting their party on while all of their responsibilities are suspended throughout the course of the week. However, not every college student spends spring break in an exotic location. No matter where you spend your break, even if it’s back home, you have virtually no responsibilities to worry about. A break is a break, after all, and enjoying an entire week home certainly comes with its own benefits. There are many things you can do to make the best of your mini-vacation right in your hometown.

1. Visit your favorite local restaurants or businesses, or try out a new one.

Although there are many quaint little college towns with cute boutiques or coffee shops, the offerings from home always seem to be better somehow. Off the top of my head, I can think of two restaurants from my hometown that I for sure plan on visiting while I’m back because nothing at college can replace the tastes and smells of home. Whether your town is big and bustling or small and quiet, there is always something offered that you can only get at home.

2. Attend a community event, like a sporting event at your old high school.

If you’re from a fairly small town like mine, community members know a lot about you and are curious to know how you’re doing every time you visit home. Instead of running into them at the grocery store or down the street, you might as well plan to be seen at an event in your community to catch up with as many of them as possible. If you live in a big city, attending a community event can still be a great way to socialize and to get out of the house while on break.

3. Stay in and watch cable television with your family.

For most college students, access to cable television is a luxury, but we normally don’t mind because we still get to watch plenty of television through online streaming. However, there are only so many shows we can stream, and after a while, it’s hard not to miss any current shows that are still on cable. I know whenever I’m home, I stay up late with my family watching Lifetime movies, and that’s something I definitely miss while at college. Take advantage of your television at home and use it to create quality time with your family.

4. Request all of your favorite foods.

If someone in your family likes to cook, make sure they know that you have a lot of eating to catch up on after having the same cafeteria food for weeks, and be sure to let them know exactly what you want to eat. You will be home for an entire week, so there are so many options if your family is willing to cook it for you. If you like to cook, take advantage of your own kitchen and serve up your favorite meals to enjoy with your family. At the very least, make a trip to the grocery store and stock up on all of your favorite snack foods.

5. Have a good old-fashioned sleepover with other friends who stayed home for break.

You really can’t be the only one who isn’t going out and doing anything for spring break, so make sure to keep tabs on all of your friends about what their plans are. If any of them will also be home in town, dedicate a whole night together to watching your favorite movies and eating junk food while catching up on your various college experiences. One of the best things about being home is seeing friendly faces, so take advantage of the opportunity to spend time with your loved ones.

6. Finally, remind yourself constantly that you have no homework to do (hopefully).

No matter how bad you wish you were on a beach somewhere soaking up some sun and getting tan enough to make people jealous once you return home, remember that a break is a break no matter where you’re at. Being home for an entire week away from college friends may not sound ideal for some people, but once you remember how much homework you had leading up to the break, you’ll remember that a break was much needed. Try reading a book for fun instead of all of your assigned reading material, or you can just chill out and relax. Sitting on your butt doing nothing at home is still a lot more fun than sitting on your butt stressing over homework.

Spring break is quickly approaching, and afterwards, the rest of the semester will fly by. Home may not be a luxury vacation, but being home for an entire week is a luxury all on its own. Be sure to take advantage of the opportunity any way that you can.

Ashley Flaws - Drake University

Ashley Flaws is a student from Webster City, Iowa attending Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. She has been in love with writing ever since second grade when she wrote a story about a boy and his cat. Since then, she has moved on from writing cat stories and is majoring in English and magazine media with the hopes of editing for a magazine someday. You can find her watching Netflix, eating junk food, obsessing over adorable, fat dogs and probably wearing the color pink.