Display 3 02 the freshman sb steps
by Areeba Shah

Finding Your Place in College

By Areeba Shah - Nov 18 2015

“Can I start over?” “I just want a fresh start already!” “I want to reinvent myself!” These were the words that resonated through your head almost every day of high school. You can lie now and deny it but really, let’s be honest here, you wanted a fresh start and you wanted it soon. Now that you have it, you don’t know how to handle it, but its okay because you’re not alone. You never really are.

In your school, schools close to yours and schools far away from yours, there are freshmen students all struggling with the same problem of fitting in. By fitting in, I don’t mean blending in and following what others do. By fitting in I mean finding your place, finding the person you want to become, meeting new people, making the right friends, joining organizations that fulfill you and being the person you were meant to be. The only thing standing between your current self and finding your place in this pool of students is time and effort.

Sometimes all it takes is time. You need to understand that everything is brand new to you right now. New place, new people, new food, new classes, it’s a lot to take in. It’s definitely a challenge trying to get used to everything and at the same time being able to maintain your grades. Think about it this way, the life you used to know has completely vanished and now you have to build a new one. You have to start from the very beginning and build your way up. This obviously cannot happen overnight but with little effort every day, you will certainly begin to see change. You just have to be patient. That may be the hardest thing to do but that’s all you can be right now and it is worth it.

Now you may be wondering how you can make effort to find your place in college. This is the easy part. You just have to get involved in different activities, ones you’re interested in, one’s you think you might want to give a try. Through these activities, you’ll meet more people which will allow you to build new friendships while undergoing some wonderful experiences together. If you’re already involved in enough activities and want to try something simpler. I recommend you talk to people within your classes. I understand that this might be hard for some people but really all it takes is a simple “hi” or “can you help me with this question?” and bam, you’ve already made your first move. Now, it’s up to the other person to continue that conversation and get to know you better. In most cases, the other person is probably also really interested in getting to know you. Because let’s be honest here, who wouldn’t want to get to know you? You’re an amazing person! But if they really are a scumbag then that just makes things easier for you. You can try talking to someone else and not waste any more of your time wondering what the person sitting next to you is like.

After trying new things, really going out of your comfort zone and meeting new people, you will have an easier time getting used to your new life. Things will take time which is why you have to be patient and hopeful. Don’t give up on yourself just yet. Going to college is hard enough and then to start over is a more difficult process to go through which is why you cannot be too hard on yourself. You have to be patient and give things time. Some people have an easier time adjusting while others need a whole year, it happens though. Eventually you’ll find your place and be the person you were meant to be. Meanwhile, remain positive, don’t give up and remember you will meet some really cool people throughout your time in college, you’ll also meet some really weird people and some of the weird people are also the coolest people you’ll ever meet. 

Lead Image Credit: 17th Street Productions

Areeba Shah - University of Toledo

Areeba Shah is a freshman at the University of Toledo majoring in paralegal studies and minoring in journalism. The things she enjoys most include traveling, taking pictures, listening to music and writing. You can follow her on Instagram @areeba97.