by Anoushka Bhat

8 Things Economics Majors are Tired of Hearing

By Anoushka Bhat - Feb 19 2016

1. "What are you planning to do with that?"

While yes, there is a bit of uncertainty sometimes as to what path to pursue after taking Economics, the possibilities are almost endless. An Economics degree can prepare you for so many different fields. A lot of majors and their post-grad opportunities can be a bit ambiguous, but that doesn't mean there's nothing out there for us.

www.giphy.com

2. "Why aren't you in the Business School?"

I get asked that a lot, every time I tell people I'm an Econ major. I'm not in the Business School because I didn't want to be in the business school. Economics, yes, is also a business related subject but it's also a social science and thus falls under the liberal arts category as well.

www.tumblr,com

3. "You must be good with your money."

Umm, yeah, I mean I guess so? Economics does teach us how to manage money and how to optimize various aspects of spending on both a micro and macro level, but that doesn't always translate to how you spend your money in college. If you're Pre-Health, does that make you extra healthy or something? Didn't think so.

www.goodreads.com

4. "OMG. Everyone is an Economics major!"

Not really true. Yes, a large proportion of incoming freshman are Econ majors but that's such an exaggeration. Economics is a popular major no doubt, but there are plenty of other majors especially when you go to a large, diverse university.

www.giphy.com

5. "I took Economics in high school and hated it."

I can guarantee that high school Economics and college level Economics will be taught very differently. Also, how rude. I don't go around telling you that I hate your major, without even actually knowing much about it, do I?

www.giphy.com

6. "It's basically just supply and demand, isn't it?"

WRONG.

www.giphy.com

7. "Economics majors are probably super greedy."

Pretty sure anyone and everyone can be greedy and that it's not just reserved for us.

www.intouchweekly.com

8. "Econ majors are mostly jocks."

No...I beg to differ. We are a pretty diverse bunch of people, just like most majors in big universities

www.teen.com

Lead Image Credit: www.drew.edu

Anoushka Bhat - New York University

Anoushka Bhat is a sophomore at New York University, majoring in Economics. She is fluent in sarcasm and loves travel, books, music and coffee. She plans to capture her college adventures through articles and photography. Follow her Instagram @anoushkabhat!