by Annie Herr

7 Ohio College Students React to Bill That Bans Abortion at Six Weeks

By Annie Herr - Dec 08 2016

When the news about Ohio's newest proposed bill hit headlines Wednesday, it was met with mixed emotions and harsh judgements. Ohio Republicans passed the bill in response to the election of Donald J. Trump and the anticipation of a conservative Supreme Court. The responsibility for passing the bill now falls into Ohio Governor John Kasich's lap, who only has nine days left to decide whether or not to veto the bill.

If passed, this law would have a profound impact on citizens in Ohio, as well as across the nation, and certainly will also affect millennials and the opportunities we have access to. Fresh U caught up with seven college students from Ohio to discuss their reactions to the proposed bill. All but one of those interviewed asked to remain either anonymous or on a first name basis. Their responses are as follows:

Maisee, freshman at Ohio University:

"I feel like this bill is the perfect of example of society back-pedaling. I can't believe something that blatantly violates the rights outlined in Roe v. Wade is even considered being passed. Women need to realize that this is the beginning of the government controlling our reproductive rights and what follows can't be good. I have been telling my friends to call the governor's office and express concern."

Adam, freshman at University of Akron:

"I have a loose opinion but as I'm not a woman I don't feel that I am in a place to hold a strong opinion. I am pro choice because I believe that the woman should have full control over her own body; who has the right to say whether it's murder or not? That is a debate on religion and ethics, not on law. Religion aside, a woman should have control of her own body, rape or even just for the better cause of human life, no baby deserves a household that doesn't want it at all."

A freshman at Ohio State University:

"People are going to get abortions regardless if there are clinics or not. They're just not going to get safe abortions."

Alyssa, freshman at Ohio University:

"I am pro-choice in every aspect known to man. Abortion shouldn't be banned period. Pregnancy and birth are the most traumatic and painful things that could happen to a living human and if a woman decides she doesn't want/need that burden, then so be it."

Lindsey, freshman at Ohio University:

"I am personally against abortion, but I would never stop anyone else from having their choice over their bodies. I don't think a woman’s body should be something the government should fight over. It's someone's personal life that has no effect but on the mother, father, and baby. It should be their decision. Plus most people don't even know they are pregnant that early it gives them no option to even make a decisions."

A freshman at Ohio State University:

"6 weeks? You might not even know you're pregnant by then. That's very extreme."

Phil Hedayatnia, a student in Texas but an Ohio native:

"This is the stuff of nightmares. I'm someone who does not like abortion as a Catholic, but this is an issue of rights, not preferences - and the Ohio legislature just dealt a strong blow. Few women even know they're pregnant at 6 weeks; access to reproductive health services is bad enough in Ohio without this new law. What's additionally frustrating is how it exposes many members of the state House and Senate as hypocrites. Time and time again, Republicans railed (rightfully) against representatives abusing procedure for their own political gain, but those same representatives pushed through an amendment banning abortion within the broader text of a child abuse and neglect bill. They didn't want input from the people of our state - no, that couldn't do. I try to avoid hyperbolic political statements, but each state senator and representative who voted for this amendment and this bill should be greatly ashamed of themselves. Period."

These responses reflect that while religion and personal beliefs play a role in whether or not someone supports abortion, many college students still believe that women should be able to decide what happens to their bodies.

Lead Image Credit: John Beagle via Flickr Creative Commons

Annie Herr - Ohio University

EIC for FreshU Ohio University