Display photo 1468271973570 7c4af51a082a
by Annie Herr

7 Free Ways to De-Stress

By Annie Herr - Nov 07 2016

Here we are at the midway point, right between midterms and finals. If you’re anything like me and my classmates, you’re at the point where microwave food counts as a meal, dry shampoo has become a daily routine, your bank account matches your grade in your worst class and you are convinced your blood is mostly coffee and caffeine. We all need easy, cheap ways to soothe and restore ourselves while we muster our way to the holidays. Here’s a list of 10 easy ways to relax without having to leave campus or spend money!

1. Take a walk.

It seems silly, since so much of the time college students are walking to and from class, meals and campus activities, but going on a walk just to walk can be a great way to take a break from being cooped up in the library.

2. Find a new study zone.

While the library or a study room may seem like the most productive place to work, often a change of scenery can make all the difference. Look for a coffee shop that has a great vibe, a new window seat in a lecture hall or a bench in a park, and see your productivity rise and your stress fall.

3. Make a blanket fort.

As I write this, I’m currently bundled up in a little fort of my own! Blanket forts are a fun way to create a cozy zone in a stress-filled room. They are fun to build and even more fun to relax in. Build one over your bed or work with your roommates to transform your room into a cozy paradise.

4. Go to an open mic.

The majority of campuses have open mics somewhere on campus. Be it at a local coffee shop or your student center, live music is a great way to distract yourself from the craziness and relax in the sound.

5. Have a movie night!

It may seem like a given, but taking a night off to hang out with your friends and watch a movie or two isn’t a bad way to spend your time when the stress hits you hard. Choose a slightly less busy night and get cozied up in PJ’s with some popcorn and a good rom com and just chill!

6. Make a calming playlist.

Find whatever music calms you down, be it monks chanting, rap, EDM or folk and make a playlist of it. Whenever you feel stress creeping up, just put in on and let the stress melt away.

Again, this one might be obvious, but I feel like it is very neglected. Napping for just twenty minutes can help you to relax and feel more alert and ready to start your day!

Don’t get caught up in the stress of the season. Find little ways to de-stress and take breaks. Before you know it the semester will be done.

Lead Image Credit: Linh Nguyen via Unsplash

Annie Herr - Ohio University

EIC for FreshU Ohio University