by Annie Becker

8 Inexpensive Ways to Decorate Your Dorm Room

By Annie Becker - Aug 31 2017

It is something you have been thinking about since you started applying for colleges, and you got really excited about it when you committed: it's decorating your dorm. Unfortunately, dorm shopping can be pricey. And while many stores offer extremely adorable dorm decorations, they can often be overpriced and not really fit your dorm's aesthetic. Here are a few ways you can decorate your dorm on a budget.

1. Washi Tape

Any and every crafty person swears by washi tape. It is fairly inexpensive, comes in any pattern imaginable and can be used to decorate almost anything. One idea is to cut out small squares, the size of your keys on your computer, and decorate each individual key. Another option is to take four strips of washi tape, make a rectangle and place it around a picture to act as a picture frame. This is an artsy way to hang pictures on the wall without damaging your dorm. Finally, you can make cool designs on your door with washi tape.

2. Succulents

Succulents are the perfect way to bring some color and a nice aesthetic to your room. You can get them in almost any size, color or shape. All succulents need to survive is a lot of sun and a little water. So for those busy college students who do not have time to constantly be worrying about plants, but still like the idea of having some, these are a great option.

3. Art Prints

If you are looking for just a little something for a smaller part of your dorm, art prints (or posters) are perfect. They come in lots of different sizes and designs. You can either buy them directly from the artists or on websites like trippystore.com and society6.com. There are also amazing free alternatives. Just by searching “art prints” on Google, Tumblr or Pinterest, you can find tons of free art which you can print out and hang on your wall.

Pixabay

4. Decorative Pillows

Pillows! They are the best way to decorate your bed and are often one of the first things people see as they walk into a dorm. Stores like Target and Bed Bath & Beyond sell decorative pillows for reasonable prices. However, if you are looking for something for even cheaper, you can make some DIY pillows. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show you how to make a variety of designs.

5. Tapestry

If you want a little bit more wall coverage than art prints or posters have to offer, tapestries are great. Like many of the decorations already discussed, these come in plenty of sizes and designs to fit almost any room. You can find these at thrift shops, Urban Outfitters, Society6 and other places.

Pixabay

6. Pictures

Pictures are an obvious option to decorate a dorm. They are quite similar to art prints and posters, except pictures of family, friends and places can help when you get homesick.

Pixabay

7. Fairy Lights

Dorm lighting can be quite harsh so lamps and fairy lights are not only great for a softer light but also a cozy decoration. You can arrange them to make a cool pattern or just simply light up your room.

8. Clothes

Yes, that's right, decorate your room with your clothes. You can hang up some of your favorite vintage tees or clothing pieces on your wall with some command hooks and hangers. Or if you are willing to shell out a little more money, you can get a nice clothing rack to hang your clothes on.

So whether you are still dreaming and thinking of ways to decorate your dorm before you move in, or you just need a little something extra, these are just a few ways to get started. And the best part is that they are all fairly inexpensive.

Annie Becker - Loyola Marymount University

Annie Becker is a freshmen at Loyola Marymount University majoring in Film Production with an emphasis in Directing/Producing and a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Screenwriting. Annie loves to make short films, write, watch movies, and drink coffee.