Display bucket list
by Anne Marie Yurik

10 Simple Things to do With Your Friends Before You Go Your Separate Ways

By Anne Marie Yurik - Jul 13 2017

The opening song for Phineas and Ferb resonates so much more with me as a rising freshman in college. With only 104 days of summer vacation, how will I spend it with my friends who I will not see for a while? How can we make sure that we make the best of every day? Well, here's a start.

1. Watch the sunrise.

Nothing is more cathartic than being up at the crack of dawn to see the sunrise while in a half-asleep half-awake mindset. Not only is the sunrise beautiful, but the experience and post-sunrise breakfast is definitely worth it. 

2. Netflix Binge

As cliche as this is, there is something awesome about not thinking about anything and just watching movies all day in PJs and blankets. Also, what you watch is up to you. There's Harry Potter marathons or romantic comedy marathons for those cheesy people out there. It's all up to you.

3. A day trip to somewhere new.

Day trips are essentially mini vacations and they are so fun. You can find a new favorite restaurant or cafe while having a couple hours in the car to talk and laugh with friends. If the location turns out the be lackluster, the car trip would make it all worth it.

4. Exploration of your own town.

As much as we like to think we know all the go-to destinations in our city, there are definitely places that you have never been to before. Why not take a day to really see the places you have never gone in your own town so you can get to know it a little better before you go?

5. All-Nighter

Let's be real, the later you're up the funnier things seem to become. Also, the more memories you make. It might seem crazy to sleep deprive yourself just for some giggly memories, but they are always funnier than they seem and it's a little something to think about while you're at college.

6. Bonfire

Having a casual get together with a larger group of your friends is something you have to do before you leave. With so many people going so many different places it might be a hassle to do, but you'll be glad you did it in the long run.

7. Drive-in Movie

Drive-in movies nowadays are few and far between, but if you find yourself blessed with one within an hour or so of where you live, definitely give it a try. It might seem old-timey and very Riverdale-esque, but it is awesome.

8. DIY Day

You know you have a whole Pinterest full of DIY clothes and accessories to do, so why not do them with your friends? If it turns out awesome you now have matching clothes (friendship goals), and if they are less than desired, you have a hilarious Pinterest fail to show that not everything is as easy as it seems.

9. Bake Day

I hope I am not the only one who watches Cupcake Wars or Chopped or The Great British Baking Show and wishes that I could be that good. But with all of that food inspiration comes that beautiful opportunity to make it yourself. Worst case scenario: They taste like garbage and you save yourself the calories.

10. Just Hang Out

Don't make too much of this summer about pictures and videos and posting on social media. The best part of friends is having someone to share your time with, and it is equally as fun to simply enjoy their company without having grandiose plans and a big schedule to get to. The most important thing is a balance.

This is definitely not the full comprehensive list as there are many more options of things to do, but while you have the time together, no matter what you do, make sure you enjoy it.

Anne Marie Yurik - University of Pittsburgh