Display bag and hands
by Anna Hirsch

10 Apps that Every Student Needs

By Anna Hirsch - Aug 07 2016

In the heat of the information age, members of generation Z who are now headed off to college have a plethora of tools and applications at their fingertips. It's a big change from previous generations, who had to rely on old-fashioned study methods like (gasp) libraries. But helpful apps for students aren't limited to studying — there are apps for budgeting, safety, packing, exercise, grocery shopping and more! Keep reading for 10 apps that students of all kinds — yes, I mean YOU — can benefit from.

1. Any.do

Not only is it a powerful to-do list app, but it also sports many other helpful features, such as reminders, syncing with all your devices, sharing to-do lists with friends and family and more! 

Free for iOS, Android, and Chrome.

any.do/anydo

2. Alarmy (Sleep If U Can)

You'll never be late to an 8 A.M. class again with this alarm, which has been dubbed the "world's most annoying." It's essential for heavy-duty sleepers who need the alarm equivalent of a nuclear bomb to get out of bed in the morning. You can adjust the settings to change the way that you have to turn off the alarm. These include shaking your phone, solving a math problem, and getting out of bed to take a picture of a specific object in your room. This alarm app is seriously fool-proof.

Free for Android, currently unavailable for iOS. 

mactrast.com

3. iStudiez

If you're looking for an app to keep track of all of your classes, assignments, and grades all in one place, you're found it with iStudiez. It's available on both mobile and desktop programs, and you can sync the app between your phone and computer so you never miss an assignment again, even when you're on the go.

iStudiez Pro: $2.99 for iOS, $9.99 for macOS and Windows (Android coming soon).

iStudiez LITE: Free for iOS, macOS and Windows.

istudentpro.com

4. EasyBib

If you wrote papers in high school that you need to create a bibliography for, it's likely that you used EasyBib's website or another citation creating service. But you may not have known that EasyBib also has an app! It makes it super easy to create citations on the go; you can even scan the book's barcode to create the citation if you don't want to manually enter the information.

Free for iOS and Android.

easybib.com

5. Your School's App

Many colleges and universities now offer apps for their students that provide quick links to grades, schedules, events, meal plans and more! Check to see if your school has an app, and if so, download it so you can access all the information that you need when you're on the go.

Temple University app screenshot

6. Mint

Unless you've been living under a rock recently, you've probably heard of Mint, the budgeting app extraordinaire. It connects to your bank account and shows you where exactly your money has been going. It also lets you create budgets with your spending, and warns you when you're about to go over your limit. The beautiful layout makes saving money that much more fun!

Free for iOS and Android.

mint.com/how-mint-works

7. Venmo

Another app for the money-conscious, Venmo makes paying your friends back super easy. Hook it up to your bank account and send and receive payments painlessly. Never make the waitress split the bill down to a T again when you're eating out with friends — have one friend shoulder the bill, and everyone else can send them their share of the bill via Venmo! 

Free for iOS and Android.

time.com

8. bSafe

If you, like me, are moving to a bigger city for college, then you'll definitely want to download this app. It can be set to track you if you're going out for a quick jog or a night on the town, and you can designate emergency contacts who will be contacted in the case of an emergency. It also has several other useful features, including a "fake call" feature for if you need an excuse to leave an awkward first date. Even if your college town is small and relatively safe, it's never a bad idea to be extra cautious when moving to an unfamiliar place.

Free on iOS and Android.

digitalvaliance.com

9. Uber

This one should be a no-brainer for those nights where you find yourself too far from your dorm or apartment after a night of partying. Driving drunk is not only dangerous, but illegal, and public transportation can also be less than perfectly safe at 2 A.M. Hailing an Uber is usually only a little more expensive than public transportation, and much more efficient and comfortable. Bonus: if you have a car that complies with the company's standards, you can register to be a driver to earn some extra cash in your free time.

Free for iOS and Android.

roboticstrends.com

10. Postmates

Need to go grocery shopping, but don't have time to go to the store? This is where Postmates comes in handy! You can order basically anything that you could need, and it'll be delivered right to your doorstep. There are fees attached, but if you normally need to pay for a subway token to get to your nearest grocery store, you might end up paying the same amount of money overall to have someone else deliver your groceries. Postmates also delivers meals from local restaurants, but on a college student's budget, you might want to be careful about how much you take advantage of that part of the service.

Free for iOS and Android.

despreneuer.com

Lead Image Credit: Alejandro Escamilla via Unsplash

Anna Hirsch - Temple University

Anna Hirsch is a freshman at Temple University, where she is studying Saxophone Performance. When she isn't playing music, she's running, bingewatching Netflix, or marching with the Temple University Diamond Band. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @annahrisch!