Display bss
by Anna DiGiacomo

UNC-Duke Rivalry Comes Alive on Twitter

By Anna DiGiacomo - Feb 09 2017

It's another beautiful day in North Carolina; the sun was shining and the temperature is a comfortable 52 degrees, a far cry from the snowstorm in the Northeast. Still, the weather is the last thing on the minds of Carolina and Duke students this Thursday because today is one of the most anticipated basketball games of the year - UNC vs Duke.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock your whole life, you will know that this rivalry is one of the most intense in college sports. In fact, Sports Illustrated on Campus named it the #1 "Hottest Rivalry" in college basketball. UNC and Duke always play at least twice a year - once in Chapel Hill and once a few miles down the road in Durham. As CBS reports, there’s a unique combination of history, timing and hatred between these two schools. Throw in two sitting Hall of Fame coaches and a battle for ACC supremacy, you have a powder-keg simply waiting to explode.

Today’s game will be hosted at Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium and, after the last year’s controversial loss against Duke, Carolina students are reverently dusting off their Carolina blue “Beat Duke” shirts in anticipation. Likewise, Duke students are also preparing for the game in their own way and have brought their shade to social media.

Naturally, UNC responded in kind and the resulting Twitter battle is too funny to ignore. Below are some of our favorites.

#BeatDuke:

1. UNC will never forget:

2. Trump making an appearance like always:

3. This is too funny to ignore:

4. A Carolina classic:

5. Fans in far away places:

6. #dookfans is a beloved Carolina tradition

7. Sup Dogs on Franklin knows what's up:

8. Public polls are vital:

9. Hidden gems from the UNV T-shirt archive:

10. This one is pretty self-explanatory:

#BeatUNC

1. Holding onto the past:

2. The only way Duke students get A's:

3. Viewer discretion is adivised:

4. *you:

5. Check you volume first:

6. Source?

7. Good luck:

At the end of the day, tweets are just tweets and the real victor will ultimately be decided on the court. Still, it’s a good way to kill some time before the game and, if nothing else, at least these Dook students will still have their sense of humor when UNC crushehs them. #GoHeels!

Lead Image: Jake Jud via Twitter

Anna DiGiacomo - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Anna is a freshman Strategic Communications major at UNC Chapel Hill. She played varsity soccer in high school and besieged the student body with libertarianism. She now spends her time annoying her roommate, catching Bruce Springsteen concerts and getting lost while pretending to camp. Follow her on Instagram @digiacomoa