Display 13172762415 e112f2921c o
by Anna DiGiacomo

How to Celebrate St. Patrick's Day in College

By Anna DiGiacomo - Mar 05 2017

It’s a simple fact that any holiday on a college campus is cause for celebration. After all, they’re a chance to relax from classes, hang out with your friends and just have a great time. However, arguably no holiday is more fun or rambunctious than St. Patrick’s Day. Even if you don’t have a drop of Celtic blood in you, St. Patty’s is for anyone and everyone. So with this exciting day creeping around the corner, Fresh U prepared a list of how to get the best out of this holiday.

1. Eat Irish food.

There are so many different ways to eat Irish food. From the traditional breakfast of soda bread and bangers (sausage) to the more college-friendly recipes like Guinness chocolate cheesecake, the options are nearly limitless. If you’re of age, be sure to check out this awesome website for tips on incorporating Guinness into your spread.

Image courtesy of clarescupcakes.co.uk via Flickr Creative Commons

2. Wear all the green.

Dig through your closet and find your most appropriate Irish gear. This may include Celtics jerseys, green mardi gras beads or all the green t-shirts you can find. If you’re lacking in green clothing, simple and affordable accessories can also do the trick. Green feathered boas are super cheap at any dollar store, and shamrock headbands are always a hit. Don't be afraid to get creative!

Image courtesy of irishgirlerin via Flickr Creative Commons

3. Celebratory beverages (21+).

If you’re older than 21, you may be tempted to bring out the alcohol on this awesome holiday. However, take a step back from your usual drinks and try some Irish classics, such as Guinness, Bailey’s and Jameson. Or, if you want to be more creative than these straight liquors, check out this website for a list of themed cocktails and mixes.

Image courtesy of peterbarnham via Flickr Creative Commons

4. Celebratory beverages (not 21+).

Don’t worry if you’re not 21 and can’t legally drink yet; St. Patty’s can still be great without the alcohol. There are tons of non-alcoholic beverages out there and they probably taste better without the alcohol anyways. Some of the more exciting recipes include a punch made of lime sherbet, pineapple and ginger ale, and homemade shamrock shakes. You can find all these recipes and more here.

Image courtesy of Hotel de la Paix Geneve via Flickr Creative Commons

5. Attend a parade.

If your campus is situated near a large city, there a strong chance that someone is hosting a St. Patrick’s Day parade near you. With the exception of Mardi Gras, St. Patty’s is known for having some of the most fantastic parades and they’re famous for interacting with the crowd. Be sure to wear some green though, you don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb!

Image courtesy of Texas.713 via Flickr Creative Commons

6. Make an Irish playlist.

While I am by no means an expert on Irish music, a simple google search can point you in the right direction. Here is a list of common songs.

1. Shipping up to Boston by the Dropkick Murphys

2. Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly

3. The Blood of Cuchulainn – the Boondock Saints Theme

4. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2

More song suggestions can be found at this link.

7. See if your school has step dancers.

Since the student body on college campuses is so diverse, chances are your school has an Irish step dancers troupe. Watching the step dancers can be a great way to get into the St. Patrick's Day mood, and it’s a great way to support your fellow students.

Image courtesy of Tim Zachernak via Flickr Creative Commons

8. Watch some Irish movies.

After a long day of celebrations and partying, relaxing to a good movie can be a godsend. In keeping with the St. Patrick's theme, here are some movies to try.

1. Leprechaun

2. The Luck of the Irish

3. The Boondock Saints

9. Find some live music.

Even if your college town isn't hosting a parade or any other extravagant celebrations, there's still a good chance that someone will be performing some Celtic music live. This may be at a music festival or even just a local music dive celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Either way, with its wide rhythmic variety and driving instruments, it's a wholly unique experience that everyone should try.

Image courtesy of Jamie McCaffrey via Flickr Creative Commons

All in all, while parties are certainly popular for this holiday, there are other options to get the best out of St. Patricks Day. Be adventurous — try new foods, new music or even a new look.  Just remember to stay safe during all the fun!

Lead Image Credit: Jeffrey Bruno via Flickr Creative Commons

Anna DiGiacomo - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Anna is a freshman Strategic Communications major at UNC Chapel Hill. She played varsity soccer in high school and besieged the student body with libertarianism. She now spends her time annoying her roommate, catching Bruce Springsteen concerts and getting lost while pretending to camp. Follow her on Instagram @digiacomoa