Display lib free speech
by Anna DiGiacomo

Getting Involved on Campus: College Libertarians

By Anna DiGiacomo - Sep 02 2016

It's election season and, as we hit the final stretch, it seems politics has never been more polarized. Conservatives versus Liberals. Republicans versus Democrats. Trump versus Clinton. The pressure is on to pick a side and, with voter registration virtually on every corner of campus, there is no escaping the political “bug."

Fortunately, as many learned during FallFest and the Week of Welcome, it’s never been easier for college students to get involved in politics. There are numerous clubs available to educate any open-minded student on virtually every political ideology out there. However, none have arguably been more successful at recruiting new members than the Libertarian Party.

As Jocelyn Kiley of PEW Research explains, a recent Gallup poll and Ballot Access report reveals the Libertarian Party as the fastest growing political party in America. More uniquely however, the party is primarily skewed to young voters, as a fourth of the registered members are under the age of 30.

Graphic courtesy of  Public Religion Research Institute

As such, the Libertarian Party is extremely active on college campuses, and it sponsors numerous liberty-minded organizations. One organization, Young Americans for Liberty (YAL), is the largest and fastest growing pro-liberty group on American college campuses. 

Jeff Frazee explains that he established YAL in December of 2008, as "a continuation of Students for Ron Paul (SFP)". In 2009, YAL’ hosted its first major event at Wake Forest University, where over 1,300 students attended to hear Ron Paul speak on a variety of issues. Today, YAL has grown to encompass over 700 chapters and 204,000 activists in all 50 states.

Photo courtesy of the Young Americans for Liberty at UNC Chapel Hill

With such a young and fast growing population, the Libertarian Party should definitely be on the list of any politically-minded college student. Even those affiliated with other parties can find a place in YAL sponsored events. Simply put, there’s no better time to get involved and you can meet some seriously great people.

Lead Image Credit: UNC Young Americans for Liberty

Anna DiGiacomo - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Anna is a freshman Strategic Communications major at UNC Chapel Hill. She played varsity soccer in high school and besieged the student body with libertarianism. She now spends her time annoying her roommate, catching Bruce Springsteen concerts and getting lost while pretending to camp. Follow her on Instagram @digiacomoa