Display 4959888069 b4aaa8b7f2 o
by Anna DiGiacomo

8 Stages of Seeing Your Pets for the First Time Since Summer

By Anna DiGiacomo - Dec 12 2016

With winter break just around the corner, it’s hard not to daydream about all the things you miss about home. Home cooked meals, seeing your friends and finally sleeping in a comfortable bed are just a few things to look forward to. However, perhaps the most exciting of all is seeing your furry best friend for the first time in months. Your mom may be touched to see your tears upon coming home, just don’t tell her they’re for your pet and not her.

Here are eight  stages of emotions you'll go through.

1. The Constant Daydreaming

You’ve been counting down the seconds until your reunion and you’ve dreamed up every possible scenario. Your favorite includes dramatically opening the front door and making slow-motion eye contact with your furry friend while "My Heart Will Go On" plays in the background.

2. Triple Checking with Your Mom on the Phone

“He will be there, won’t he? Because we’re going to be home at exactly 6:37. Don’t let him outside, Mom. Don’t you dare ruin this for me.”

3. Taking All the Pictures

Suddenly, everything your pet does is 10,000 times cuter than it was before, so you better have your camera ready. Besides, you already memorized every picture on your phone while sitting in your dorm. You need some new ones to remember him by.

4. Sharing Your Dinner

Mother always said don’t feed him from the table but doesn't he deserve steak too? Besides, you have to buy his love somehow and didn’t someone say the quickest way to a heart is through the stomach?

5. Separation Anxiety

After you simply disappeared last time, your pal may be a little nervous and refuse to let you out of his sight. He's constantly follows you around and takes any opportunity to sit on you. That's OK though, you missed him too.

6. Free Therapy

After the literal hell that was finals week, no one is more understanding than your dog. There may be tears, angry mumbling and a few too many forceful hugs, but he will stick it out with you. After all, he’s already seen you at your worst and it’s not like he’s going to tell anyone.

7. Planning How to Sneak Him Back With You

It’s almost a sting operation at this point. Every possibility is carefully worked out, every cranny in your dormitory memorized and a stack of cash ready for the necessary bribes.

8. Saying Goodbye Again

Nothing is more heartbreaking than leaving your fur pal again. However, this time it’s a little bit easier. He may not understand what is happening but he didn’t forget you while you were gone. Now you no longer have the crippling anxiety about him moving on without you or hating you for leaving. After all, no matter how long your gone, you will always be his favorite.

Congratulations on making it through finals with some of your sanity intact and remember to enjoy your winter break. Happy Holidays! 

Lead Image Credit: Cristina via Flickr Creative Commons

Anna DiGiacomo - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Anna is a freshman Strategic Communications major at UNC Chapel Hill. She played varsity soccer in high school and besieged the student body with libertarianism. She now spends her time annoying her roommate, catching Bruce Springsteen concerts and getting lost while pretending to camp. Follow her on Instagram @digiacomoa