Display friends
by Angelika Menendez

Even When We're Miles Apart

By Angelika Menendez - May 25 2016

Friendships come and go, and college is the time to start making new friends that will last. Moving from Florida to New York is a big step in my life, considering the fact that I'm leaving all my friends behind. But everyone has that one friend that isn’t just a friend, they're family.

My best friend and I have been attached at the hip since middle school. We have done everything together, from cheerleading to meeting Selena Gomez. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I’m 1,095 miles away from her. One thing is for sure, we aren’t losing contact and we’re still telling each other everything. Long distance friendships are hard, but with determination on our side nothing will stop us. Social media has made it possible to talk to someone who is miles away whenever you want. All it takes is the time and effort. I plan to Facetime my best friend once a week, and even though I’ll be making new friends in NYC, nothing will replace her Asian persuasion.

As I looked between the University of Central Florida (UCF) and Fordham University packets, making the decision to leave her was a difficult one. In the end, it was my dream that I had to pursue. My decision couldn’t have been based on friendship, but I had to base it on the future and my education. Fordham offered me the opportunity to major in communications and minor in theater while being in the city where it all happens, New York City. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity of living in the place where I can turn my dreams into a reality. Of course, in my dreams my best friend is ideally by my side, but I know that my number one fan is down in Florida cheering me on as I audition to be on Broadway. Of course, I will be cheering her on as well. In fact, I’m going to watch the UCF football games to see her dancing on the field as part of the dance team. Her number one fan is going to be watching her all the way from NYC.

Leaving my best friend behind is the hardest thing I can imagine myself doing. She isn’t just my best friend, but she is my sister. We all have a friend like that in our life, but sooner rather than later there comes a time when we must spread our wings and fly. College is that time. Although I’ll be having new experiences without her, I’ll still be telling her all about them so she can live vicariously through me.

The saying that “absence makes the heart grow fonder,” is true when it comes to a best friend. I know that during every visit back to my hometown, Miami, I’ll be able to run to her with open arms. I’ll be the one carrying her and dramatically spinning her, considering the fact that she is significantly shorter. But hey, college even makes time for growth, so who knows! Maybe she’ll end up taller, but it won’t come as a surprise to me since I’ll be seeing her face on my phone screen every week thanks to Facetime.

Lead Image Credit: Jordan Donaldson via Unsplash

Angelika Menendez - Fordham University

Angelika Menendez is a freshman at Fordham University. She is majoring in communications and minoring in theater. She hopes to end up on Broadway some day! Follow her on Twitter @angelikamariem