Display newenglandflagandbanner
by Angela Tricarico

10 Athletes Who Went Pro After One Year Of College

By Angela Tricarico - Dec 21 2015

1. Jhalil Okafor

Credit: csnphilly.com

Okafor attended Duke University for one year before being selected third overall in the 2015 NBA draft by the Philadelphia 76ers. In his only year at college, he was unanimously chosen as the USBWA Freshman of the Year, and took home the NCAA title with Duke. 

2. Jack Eichel 

Credit: buffalohockeybeat.com

In his only season at Boston University, Eichel won the Hobey Baker Award: it's the hockey equivalent to the Heismann. BU made it to the Frozen Four, but lost in the championship game. Eichel was the scoring champion, player of the year and rookie of the year for Hockey East. In June, he was drafted second overall to the Buffalo Sabres and has played in all 33 of their games this season.

3. Noah Hanifin

Credit: nhl.com

Hanifin began playing for Boston College at 17 after fast tracking his high school graduation. He scored 23 points for BC in his only year with the Eagles, and was drafted 5th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes after being ranked the draft's top defenseman. Hanifin signed a 3 year deal with the Hurricanes, choosing to go pro instead of going back to BC. Fun fact: he's the NHL's youngest player!

4. Karl-Anthony Towns 

Credit: bleacherreport.com

Towns was the number one pick in the 2015 NBA draft. Before this, the center/powerforward played for Kentucky. During his time there, he was a kinesiology major, hopes to be a doctor when he basketball career ends and is actually continuing to take online courses despite now playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves!

5. D'Angelo Russell

credit: ESPN.com

Russell was a member of the Ohio State Buckeyes for one season, before he decided to forgo his NCAA eligibility to play for the Lakers after being selected second overall in the 2015 draft. In his one season with Ohio State, he started all 35 games, and was the first freshman to record a triple-double. 

6. Andrew Wiggins 

Credit: bleacherreport.com

In the NCAA, Wiggins played for Kansas. He was drafted first overall in 2014 by the Cleveland Cavaliers, but was traded to the Timberwolves before he played a single game for the Cavs - this is only the second time a first overall has been traded before the season began. 

7. Kyrie Irving

Credit: bleacherreport.com

Irving attended his freshman year at Duke in 2010-11, before he was selected first overall in the 2011 draft by the Cavaliers. He decided to forgo the NCAA, and was crowned the NBA's Rookie of the Year 2011-12. 

8. John Wall

credit: csnmidatlantic.com

Wall played for Kentucky in 2009-2010. During his time there, he was named SEC Player of The Year, won the Adolph Rupp Trophy and was named to many first all star teams. He entered the 2010 NBA draft and was selected first overall by the Washington Wizards.

9. Kevin Durant

credit: bleacherreport.com

Durant played for the Texas Longhorns in 2006-07. He was the first freshman to win the Naismith Trophy for most outstanding college basketball player. He declared for the 2007 NBA Draft and was selected second overall by the Seattle SuperSonics. He was named rookie of the year, and following that season the team relocated to Oklahoma City. 

10. Carmelo Anthony

credit: cbssports.com

Anthony played his only college season for the Syracuse Orangemen in 2002-03. At Syracuse, he led the team to an NCAA title and was named NCAA Freshman of the Year. He was selected third in the 2003 draft, by the Denver Nuggets, behind Lebron James (first overall). 

Lead Image Credit: newenglandflagandbanner.com

Angela Tricarico - University of New Haven

Angela Tricarico is a freshman at the University of New Haven majoring in communication and minoring in sports management. She loves writing, musical theater, and coffee. You can most likely find her in her room, singing an off-key one woman version of Les Mis. Follow her on twitter @angtric!