Display wesleyan.edu
by Angela Tricarico

16 Broadway Actors Who Are Also College Graduates

By Angela Tricarico - Feb 04 2016

Not all Broadway stars dropped out of college or skipped it altogether.

Corey Cott 

Corey Cott - broadway.com

Cott is a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University. After being a standby for Jack Kelly, the lead in "Newsies", he took over the role full-time in September 2012. In 2015, he played Gaston in "Gigi", and soon, he’ll be originating the role of Donny in The Bandstand.  

Renee Elise Goldsberry 

resident.com

Goldsberry not only has a bachelor's degree, but also a masters in jazz vocal performance. She earned her BFA from Carnegie Mellon and her master's from University of Southern California. She appeared in "The Lion King", played Mimi in the live on Broadway DVD of "RENT", and is currently starring as Angelica Schuyler in "Hamilton". 

Darren Criss

Criss has a BFA in theater performance from the University of Michigan, where he co-founded Team Starkid, a theater group that creates musicals for the internet. They rose to fame with "A Very Potter Musical", where Criss played Harry Potter. Criss is best known for playing Blaine Anderson on "Glee", but has appeared on Broadway twice: as J. Pierpont Finch in "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying", and as Hedwig in "Hedwig and the Angry" Inch

Andrew and Celia Keenan-Bolger

Celia and Andrew Keenan-Bolger - stagedoordish.com

Siblings Andrew and Celia both graduated from the University of Michigan. Andrew is best known for originating the role of Crutchie in "Newsies", and will be seen in the upcoming musical "Tuck Everlasting". He is also the co-creator of the webseries "Submissions Only". Celia originated the role of Olive Ostrovsky in "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee", and is a two-time Tony nominee for her turn as Molly Aster in "Peter and the Starcatcher" and as Laura Wingfield in "The Glass Menagerie." 

Josh Gad 

Josh Gad - huffingtonpost.com

Gad earned a BFA in drama in 2003, from Carnegie Mellon University. He went on to star in "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" and originated the role of Elder Arnold Cunningham in "The Book of Mormon", which earned him a Tony nomination. Gad is best known for voicing Olaf in "Frozen".

Kerry Butler 

columbus.broadway.com

Butler is a gruadate of Ithaca College. On Broadway, she's appeared as Belle in "Beauty and The Beast", Audrey in "Little Shop of Horrors"; for her role as Clio/Kira in "Xanadu", she was nominated for a Tony. More recently, she starred opposite Aaron Tveit as Brenda in "Catch Me If You Can", and will open "Disaster! A Musical" this month. 

Wesley Taylor

dctheaterscene.com

Taylor is an alum of University of North Carolina School for the Arts, where he earned a BFA in acting. Taylor made his Broadway debut originating the role of Franz in "Rock of Ages". He went on to originate the role of Lucas Beinike in "The Addams Family". Taylor also played Bobby on "SMASH". He created and starred in two webseries: "It Could Be Worse" and "Billy Green." 

Audra McDonald

Audra McDonald -nytimes.com

McDonald, who holds the record for most Tony Awards, is a graduate of The Julliard School. She has appeared on Broadway in "Carousel, A Raisin In The Sun," "Porgy and Bess," "Lady Day At Emerson’s Bar and Grill," and will open "Shuffle Along" this spring. On TV, McDonald was a main character on "Private Practice." 

Gavin Creel 

Gavin Creel - broadwayworld.com

Creel has a BFA in musical theater from the University of Michigan. He originated the role of Jimmy in "Thoroughly Modern Millie," for which he recieved a Tony nomination. He was nominated again in 2009 for his portrayal of Claude in "HAIR," which he took to the West End in London, though he may be best known for starring in "The Book of Mormon."  On and off for nearly four years, Creel played Elder Kevin Price in the US National Tour, Canadian production, West End production, and Broadway production. He won an Olivier Award for this performance. In March, he will open "She Loves Me" as Steven Kodaly. 

Victoria Clark

broadwayworld.com

Clark, a four time Tony nominee and one time Tony winner, attended Yale University for undergrad, and has a Masters degree from New York University. She has appeared in "A Light in The Piazza," "Sister Act," "Cinderella" and "Gigi" among many other credits. For her work in "A Light in The Piazza" she won the Tony for best leading actress in a musical. 

Jeremy Jordan

Jeremy Jordan - twitter.com

Tony nominee Jordan holds a BFA in musical theater from Ithaca College. He made his Broadway debut as a swing in "Rock of Ages," and went on to play Clyde in "Bonnie and Clyde," and Jack Kelly in "Newsies" on Broadway. He played Jimmy Collins on season 2 of "SMASH", and appeared opposite Anna Kendrick in the film version of "The Last Five Years." He's currently on "Supergirl", as Winn Schott, Kara's tech expert best friend. 

Kristin Chenoweth 

jamtheatricals.com

Chenoweth is a native of Oklahoma City, and recieved both her BFA in musical theater and her Masters in opera performance from Oklahoma City University. She's best known for originating the role of Glinda the Good Witch in "Wicked." but won a Tony Award for playing Sally in "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown." Most recently, she played Lily in "On The Twentieth Century" on Broadway, and was Maleficent in the made-for-TV movie "Descendants." 

Brian d'Arcy James 

broadway.com

Broadway vet James is a graduate of Northwestern University's School of Communication. He's a three-time Tony nominee known for his work in "The Wild Party," "Titanic," "Next to Normal," "Shrek the Musical," and most recently, "Something Rotten!" James was also part of the SAG Award winning ensemble of the film "Spotlight." 

Annaleigh Ashford

Annaleigh Ashford - imdb.com

Ashford graduated from Marymount Manhattan College at 19 years old! She made her Broadway debut as Margot in "Legally Blonde: The Musical," and went on to play Glinda in "Wicked." She also originated the role of Lauren in "Kinky Boots," won a Tony for her performance as Essie Carmichael in "You Can't Take It With You," and just finished a run as Sylvia the dog in "Sylvia." She had a recurring role as "Adorable GIrl" in the webseries "Submissions Only," and will star as Columbia in the FOX remake of "Rocky Horror." 

Lin-Manuel Miranda 

Lin-Manuel - nytimes.com

Miranda, who very well may be the King of Broadway, has a BFA from Wesleyan University. This past year, he recieved his honorary doctorate from Wesleyan. During his time at Wesleyan, he wrote the first draft of In "The Heights," the musical he would go on to make his Broadway debut starring in. For writing "Heights," he won two Tonys and a Grammy. He also wrote "Bring It On: The Musical" and provided translations for the 2009 revival of "West Side Story." Additionally, he's written music for film; in the new "Star Wars" film, he composed the Cantina scene, and he is writing songs for the upcoming Disney movie "Moana." Currently, Miranda is starring as Alexander Hamilton in "Hamilton," the musical he wrote the book, lyrics and music for. 

Lead Image Credit: Wesleyan.edu

Angela Tricarico - University of New Haven

Angela Tricarico is a freshman at the University of New Haven majoring in communication and minoring in sports management. She loves writing, musical theater, and coffee. You can most likely find her in her room, singing an off-key one woman version of Les Mis. Follow her on twitter @angtric!