Display lead image 1
by Amy Yu

How to Treat the Summer That Doesn't Matter

By Amy Yu - Jul 14 2017

After the last lingering hugs give way to the first stream of tears, that’s when you know that your summer that doesn’t matter has officially started. When my history teacher referred to the space between senior year of high school and freshman year of college as the “summer that doesn’t matter,” four months before its actual occurrence, I couldn’t even begin to imagine what he meant. It was only on the drive back home from graduation, with tears threatening to spill out of my eyes as I read my yearbook notes, that I started to understand. It was the wave of nostalgia that hit me like a tidal wave while reminiscing about little memories dismissed in the moment. It was the breath of relief and feeling of accomplishment that rejuvenated me after working so hard throughout high school. Above all, it was the realization that for the first time in a long time, I could do whatever I wanted in my summer that doesn’t matter.

With my spirits and motivation running high, I aimed to make the most of my summer. In order to keep myself accountable, I made a summer bucket/to-do list. While it is a great idea to spend the entire summer relaxing, I decided to get a job to make some extra money for myself.

Next on my list was to get my license, something I had been putting off for quite a while. On that note, this summer is best for investing time in your hobbies, both old and new. I wasn’t able to read for pleasure during the school year, so I went to my local library and picked up some books. Along with reading, writing was something that I’ve always loved to do but never really had the time in which to invest. Writing articles, like this one, is another hobby that I dedicated my summer to pursuing.

As much as it’s great to pick up new hobbies, make sure you don’t neglect the old ones! For me, that means continuing to practice piano and viola, even though I don’t have teachers to hold me accountable and scold me if I don’t. It also means progressing in my development of a healthy lifestyle that I started at the end of high school but hope to continue in college.

Moreover, this summer is the time to be adventurous and try new things, while not taking the old for granted. Learn a new language (or at least attempt to, like I am). Cultivate your interest in activities that you may not have been able to do in high school. Travel the world. Make the most of the time with your family because before you know it, you won’t be able to see them every day for those conversations at the dinner table or binge watching the latest Netflix series.

Maintain your friendships by keeping that Snapchat streak alive or making concrete plans to catch up over the summer. An easy way to see your friends this summer is at graduation parties! You never know how much you miss someone until that first hug after not seeing them for a few weeks. It’s painful to realize that, “See you tomorrow,” turns into, “See you later,” and then the question, “When will I see you again?” for people that you could never imagine your life without.

So, make the most of your summer that doesn’t matter! No more resume building, no more extracurricular activities — your hard work has paid off and it’s time to reap the benefits. Do the things you didn’t have time to do before, whether that’s a new hobby or something that you want to take the time to revisit. Hang out with your friends and ask your parents how their days went. Do that thing you’ve always wanted to but were too scared to try. Most importantly, relax, have fun and do whatever you want because this summer is all about you. In your summer that doesn’t matter, I hope you realize that the one thing that does matter is you.

Amy Yu - Case Western Reserve University

Amy Yu is a freshman at Case Western Reserve University. Although undecided about her major at the moment, she'd like to obtain an MD/PhD dual degree in the future. Besides writing and helping others, she loves to play piano and viola, sing, go rock climbing, eat Flaming Hot Cheetos, and talk with her friends.