by Amanda Morrison

This Student Was Sent Home from School for Wearing a Turtleneck Dress

By Amanda Morrison - Dec 19 2016

On Thursday, December 15, high school junior Erin McGovern was sent home from school for wearing a long-sleeve turtleneck dress, tights, and knee-high boots.

This student at Riverview Community High School in Riverview, Michigan, was shocked to learn that her outfit did not follow the school's strict dress code. According to the school's online code of conduct, "All skirts/short/Capri pants must fall at or below the knees." However, McGovern claimed the outfit was one she often wears to church. 

With hundreds of shares on Twitter, McGovern's tweets reached other students across the nation who agreed with the ridiculousness of her being sent home. Twitter user @antoniodelotero quote tweeted McGovern's post and commented the following:

Fresh U reached out to McGovern and three of her friends to ask for comments on the situation, along with the Riverview Community High School administration. Unfortunately, school officials have yet to comment on the incident, but Fresh U will update this article if any comment is made.

When asked how she felt about being sent home for her outfit, McGovern commented:

"I was so frustrated when my teacher sent me to the office and then the office sent me home to change, the only thing showing on me was my wrists and my knees but I had tights on too. I think the schools dress code is unfair because I see boys who wear shorts that go down the same length as my dress did. I know my school has a really strict dress code but I didn't think they'd actually send me home for what I was wearing because it was so conservative. During first hour when my teacher told me to go down to the office, people in my class were just as mad/shocked as I was. There's only very little girls can wear, even when it's 90 degrees out, we still have to wear jeans and our school has no air conditioning either."  

It's no surprise that McGovern felt shocked for being sent home, as she even had approval from her parents on her outfit. However, McGovern's story is not an anomaly. Check out this list of crazy reasons how other girls violated their school's dress code.

In order to better understand the situation at hand, Fresh U was able to gather comments from three of McGovern's friends, all of whom were familiar with the incident. Their responses are as follows:

Alexa Foggia, junior at Riverview Community High School:

"She snapchatted me when she got home and I was so confused and frustrated at this point. Girls get sent home everyday for dress code and it's so sexist. The main argument from my school is that it's too distracting for the boys. Instead of teaching girls to coverup and blaming them for wearing what they want, we should teach boys to have some self-control."

Ashley Whitlow, junior at Riverview Community High School:

"I think it's ridiculous that Erin's knee caps were showing and she got sent home, all the teachers don't have a dress code and it's 100% okay if they wear skirts that are down to mid thigh. Not being able to wear sweat pants or leggings is the dumbest dress code. Boys can wear shorts that go down to the same height as Erin's dress. Maybe we wouldn't complain so much, but we have to wear jeans even if it 90 degrees out, and in the code of conduct it says we aren't supposed to roll our jeans up."

Jessica Ross, junior at Riverview Community High School:

"Our dress code is ridiculous and sexist, her dress was appropriate and I've been sent home many times for dresses that my parents approved of. Erin wears that same outfit to church. Our school is sexist and makes the girls' dress code based on what boys see or could be distracted by, but they let the boys wear shorts above their knees while we can't wear dresses that are only a few inches above our knee with leggings."

In light of these reactions to Riverview Community High School's dress code, it might be time for an evaluation of school dress code policies--not only at Riverview, but in other high schools across the nation. In the words of Erin McGovern's friend Alexa Foggia:

"Instead of teaching girls to coverup and blaming them for wearing what they want, we should teach boys to have some self-control."

Lead Image Credit: Erin McGovern via Twitter

Amanda Morrison - Temple University

Amanda Morrison is a freshman at Temple University studying Global Studies and Strategic Communication with minors in Community Development and Spanish. Her favorite past activities include being a nationally ranked debater and inspecting cocoa beans in Tanzania. Amanda loves reading, writing and eating Chick-fil-A. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @manders051.