Display maya 5
by Amanda Morrison

The Women's March Told Through 16 Powerful Pictures

By Amanda Morrison - Jan 23 2017

The Women's March on January 21st, 2017, was certainly history in the making. Originally scheduled only in Washington, D.C., hundreds of other cities across the United States and even the world followed suit. Two Fresh U staff writers, Maya Ungar and Melissa Cordell, joined the movement in Washington, D.C. These two women captured the day in photos and commented on the significance of the Women's March.

Maya Ungar – Freshman at University of Arkansas

"For me the most powerful thing was the diversity. Everywhere you looked there were people of different races, religions, genders, sexual identity, age, etc. This wasn't just a movement of white women; it seemed more intersectional, which is really important."

Melissa Cordell – Sophomore at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

"It was so inspiring to me just to see so many people gathered together for so many causes that affect us all, either directly or by knowing someone it affects. I can only hope that this enthusiasm remains and excuses not to get out and help campaigns in a more hands on experience disappear. We must remember that fighting for social justice is never a convenience. We have to make time for it and put in the effort like we did on Saturday."

Here are 16 powerful images from the Women's March in Washington, D.C.

Submitted by Maya Ungar

Submitted by Maya Ungar
Submitted by Maya Ungar
Submitted by Maya Ungar
Submitted by Maya Ungar
Submitted by Maya Ungar
Submitted by Maya Ungar
Submitted by Maya Ungar
Submitted by Melissa Cordell
Submitted by Melissa Cordell
Submitted by Melissa Cordell
Submitted by Melissa Cordell
Submitted by Melissa Cordell
Submitted by Melissa Cordell
Submitted by Melissa Cordell
Submitted by Melissa Cordell

Thank you, Maya and Melissa, for contributing to the March and making your voices heard!

Did you get any photos from a Women's March this past Saturday? Tweet them to us @FreshUOnline!

Lead Image Credit: Maya Ungar & Melissa Cordell 

Amanda Morrison - Temple University

Amanda Morrison is a freshman at Temple University studying Global Studies and Strategic Communication with minors in Community Development and Spanish. Her favorite past activities include being a nationally ranked debater and inspecting cocoa beans in Tanzania. Amanda loves reading, writing and eating Chick-fil-A. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @manders051.