by Amanda Morrison

One College Student's Horrific Experience with Hazing

By Amanda Morrison - Jan 19 2017
"It was September 2015, all I wanted to do was prove that I could be a part of a team."

On January 11, Drury University student Evan Petrich posted a detailed account of the hazing incident he experienced in 2015 with the Drury swim team, garnering support from the local community in Springfield, MO, as well as friends and family.

Petrich hoped to bring public attention to the ordeal, as he believes that Drury University has not done enough to combat the hazing incidents that have taken place on the University's campus.

Evan granted Fresh U access to the transcript of a letter he wrote to the University President as well as the transcript of an interview about his experience.

Evan described the consumption of alcohol in a dark basement while wearing only a diaper and given a "pee corner." Not only did his Facebook post share these graphic details, but an interview with his hometown's KY3 News provided more information.

"This event is in past. The violent chest rub, the swallowing of a live goldfish while we wore hoods is all in the past. There is nothing that I can do about that horrific event that ended my swimming career."

In the letter he sent to the University President, Petrich scolded the lack of action on the part of the University to discipline students because of the incident. In the note, Petrich commented:

"As a victim of these crimes, I cannot understand why or how Drury is so inconsistent with its disciplinary actions against those who commit hazing."

As a result of his experience, Evan was diagnosed with Conversion Disorder and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result of his experience from hazing. However, reports state that Drury University Director of Athletics Mark Fisher negated allegations of a hazing culture at the school.

Hazing has been a problem on college campuses for numerous years. While situations like Evan's are heartbreaking and hurtful, hopefully the public broadcasting of news such as this will shed light on the situation and bring an end to hazing, not only at Drury University, but at universities across the nation.

Lead Image Credit: Evan Petrich

Amanda Morrison - Temple University

Amanda Morrison is a freshman at Temple University studying Global Studies and Strategic Communication with minors in Community Development and Spanish. Her favorite past activities include being a nationally ranked debater and inspecting cocoa beans in Tanzania. Amanda loves reading, writing and eating Chick-fil-A. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @manders051.