by Amanda Morrison

How to Address Donald Trump at Thanksgiving Dinner

By Amanda Morrison - Nov 17 2016

We've all been told to leave politics and religion out of family dinner conversations, but it might be awfully difficult to do that over the holidays this year.

Since we now live in a world where Donald J. Trump being the President-elect is a reality, you will most likely find yourself having to address the elephant in the room - or rather, the elephant that will soon be in office - during your Thanksgiving dinner.

For some, a conversation about the newly elected President will be welcomed with excitement, while others dread the topic and fear they might cry in front of their families. Others might not even care at all.

Thus, Fresh U has assembled a guide to the holiday horror you might find yourself in if Trump's name is mentioned at the dinner table. Whether you're happy, sad or apathetic towards the results of the election, here's what you should do if this sticky situation arises.

1. For the Trump supporters

Your candidate won the election, and it's great that you feel as though your political opinions now have the power to be put into action under Trump. That feeling is one of the most beautiful things about our democracy. However, when you're around your family over Thanksgiving break, be mindful that Aunt Sally or Cousin Joe might not feel the same way you do about the election results. Be careful of criticisms towards those who voted for someone other than Trump. However, if one of your family members begins to criticize you for who you voted for, it would be a good idea to kindly ask them to respect your opinion. After all, you had a right to vote your conscience, just like everyone else.

2. For the Hillary fans and Never-Trumpers

You might have spent the days since the election in a funk, or even mourning over what you consider to be a loss for the country. Please remember that just as Trump supporters had a right to vote for who they wanted, you have a right to feel whatever you're feeling post-election, as long as your feelings are dealt with in a productive manner. It would be wise to refrain from calling your family members "stupid" or "ignorant" based on who they voted for. If the opportunity arises for you to share your political thoughts with your family, try to present your ideas in a productive and educational manner. Relating your opinions as very important to you is key, because if your family really respects you, they will try to understand and respect your feelings and beliefs.

3. For the apathetic

If you couldn't care less about the 2016 Presidential race and its outcome or just aren't very aware when it comes to politics, then 2016 probably shaped up to be a brighter year for you than for others. But it's important to understand that many people are heavily energized about the results of this election. If a strongly opinionated relative perceives that you don't care about the election, that might be offensive to them. So when politically charged conversations do come alive at your dinner table, it would definitely be a good idea to lay low, but if someone asks your opinion, note that while you personally are not affected by the outcome of the election, you realize that many others feel differently.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of intense political debates occurring all across the country on Thanksgiving Day are higher this year than they have been any other year in recent history. This election certainly will be one to remember for decades and even centuries to come. If the election is in fact brought up over turkey and mashed potatoes this Thursday, do your best to respect the opinions of your family members. But remember, you also have a voice, and it is your right and privilege to use it.

Lead Image Credit: Moochie X via Twitter

Amanda Morrison - Temple University

Amanda Morrison is a freshman at Temple University studying Global Studies and Strategic Communication with minors in Community Development and Spanish. Her favorite past activities include being a nationally ranked debater and inspecting cocoa beans in Tanzania. Amanda loves reading, writing and eating Chick-fil-A. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @manders051.