Display news writing image
by Amanda Morrison

5 Reasons Why You Should Join Fresh U's News Team

By Amanda Morrison - Jan 06 2017

With the new year finally upon us, it's time to get cracking on those new year's resolutions. Have you ever wanted to write for an online publication? Be a part of a news team that produces quality articles with the potential to go viral every week? If so, then the Fresh U News Department could be your new home.

In 2016, Fresh U's News Team was responsible for publishing important stories such as a Temple University student feeding the homeless with his meal swipes or a high school student in Michigan being sent home from school for wearing a turtleneck dress. These topics are relatable to college students, and you could help write them in 2017. You can access the application here.

As if you even needed any more prompting, here's a list of five additional reasons why you should join the Fresh U News Team.

1. Development of skills and training in quality news writing.

Fresh U's News Team is constantly honing their news writing skills. Since each team member is writing an original news story every week, there is constant practice in finding and writing important stories.

2. Gain experience with interviewing subjects and getting to know new people.

You'll meet (mainly over the internet) all sorts of new people by joining the News Department. Not only will you get to know your fellow writers at Fresh U, but you'll interview all sorts of creative and interesting people for your stories. We learn a lot when we learn from others, and being a news writer certainly allows you to do that.

3. You'll use your social media for good.

Many of the stories Fresh U's News Department produces are found through leads on Twitter or Facebook, such as this one about a student's important Christmas gift. Using your social media accounts to find stories rather than only using them to distract yourself from homework can give you a sense of peace.

4. It's a great resume booster!

College students are all about those resume boosters. Telling a future employer that you already have quality news writing experience thanks to Fresh U is a sure-fire way to make sure they hire you for that position you've been wanting. Not only will writing for Fresh U prepare you to get that job, but it'll also help you be more successful once you're actually working in it.

5. You'll have a lot of fun being part of the team.

At the end of the day, writing for Fresh U is rewarding because of the community it creates. Getting to know other college students from across the country who also have a passion for writing and journalism makes any stressful moment worth it.

We hope you'll add applying to be a news writer for Fresh U to your to do list in 2017. Happy New(s) Year!

Note: This position is not paid as Fresh U does not yet make enough revenue to support a paid staff. However, we offer a bonus to the writer whose article has the highest views each week. 

Lead Image Credit: Steve Raubenstine via Pixabay

Amanda Morrison - Temple University

Amanda Morrison is a freshman at Temple University studying Global Studies and Strategic Communication with minors in Community Development and Spanish. Her favorite past activities include being a nationally ranked debater and inspecting cocoa beans in Tanzania. Amanda loves reading, writing and eating Chick-fil-A. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @manders051.