Display tumblr ntt0ty4rnd1qfyjoto1 500
by Amanda Moore

8 Things People Who Didn't Rush Are Tired of Hearing

By Amanda Moore - Feb 15 2016
Greek life is a major part of certain campuses, but for some people it just isn't exciting or interesting.  When everyone is talking about rushing, this is what the rest of us end up hearing:

1. “Oh my God, why didn’t you rush?”

Well, to be honest it’s just not really my thing. I’ve been asked this more times than I can count and each time I get more and more exasperated.

2. “I’m sorry – maybe next year!”

Uh, what? It’s not that I didn’t get a bid, it’s that I didn’t rush. It was a personal choice I made, thank you very much.

3. “What sorority are you in?”

Not in one. Sorry.

4. “Look at all the gifts my big gave me!”

Okay, wow. I’m actually reconsidering my choice to not rush. 20 free t-shirts? Sign me up.

5. Anything about your new sisterhood

I'm 100% happy that you found a group of girls that you clicked with, as that is not always an easy task. That's great! But, not all of us need Greek life to form our own group of friends who are as close as sisters, too.

6. Anything about Date Parties or Swaps

Or “Darties.” I’ve lost focus in class before because of the conversation about the luau-themed “dartie” stressing the sisters out two rows behind me. Maybe save those conversations for outside class.

7. Anything about Bid Day

Congrats, I'm really happy you got into the sorority you wanted. But I was happy the first time you told me. Now two weeks later and 84,783 more explanations of what happened at Bid Day, my excitement level has seriously decreased.

8. Any time multiple Greek letters are strung together in one sentence

I know Alpha and Omega and that's about it. When you're listing off acronyms and Greek letters, I apologize that I'm looking at you like you're speaking another language, but I have no idea what you just said.

In the end, whether or not you choose to join Greek life, college is still full of fun experiences for everyone to enjoy. If Greek life isn't for you, there are so many things on campus to do. And, if Greek life is your thing, that's great too.

Featured image:

Amanda Moore - University of Tennessee Knoxville

Amanda Moore is a freshman at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville majoring in Global Studies and hoping to travel the world. In high school, she was the Arts & Entertainment editor of her high school newspaper, The Knightly News. She loves to read and write, as well as drink coffee and shop too much.