by Alyssa Nadler

6 Simple Joys College Students Experience

By Alyssa Nadler - Oct 23 2017

Leaving for college, everyone warned me about the big changes I would face, both positive and negative. College freshmen are faced with the daunting task of adjusting to a completely new lifestyle while maintaining a successful academic life, as well as a social life. In light of all the major changes occurring in the lives of freshmen, it is important to recognize and appreciate the little things. So, while you're trying to figure out how to study for exams or working up the courage to talk to a professor, look out for these little things to put a smile on your face.

1. Your Bed After a Long Day

You left your dorm at 7:45 to make it to your 8 a.m. class. From there you ran to your next class, then took a quick hour study break at the library. You decide you can spare 20 minutes for lunch, from there you go to your last class. You feel a sense of relief because it’s your last class, but then you remember the hour long club meeting you have in 10 minutes so you sprint across campus and you make it just in time. You head back to the library to finish the five-page paper you have due tomorrow before you start studying for the following days exam. You realize it is 11:45 p.m. and you forgot about dinner and you failed to shower today and you still haven’t studied enough for that exam. What is going to put a smile on your face more than acing any of your exams? Just the mere sight of your bed.

2. Free Food

Let's face it, we are broke college students. The only food we allow ourselves to eat is the food our meal swipes can buy us, or the occasional late night ramen. As college students our time is also precious, so joining a time consuming club or attending an optional lecture is a long shot. Club leaders and school administrators know the best way to get students to attend anything is to promise free food. 

3. Getting Let out of Class Early

An hour and 10 minutes into the class I stare at the clock. Just five more minutes left of class, but then the teacher says, “I’m just going to stop here.” That is genuinely all it takes, five minutes of my life back and for a second all of the stressful things in my life cease to exist. What should I do with my extra time? Nap? Get a coffee? Do homework? The possibilities are endless!

4. Frat Puppies

I fear that these adorable creatures survive off of a diet of beer and leftovers, but that is a worry for another time. Bless the fraternities for taking the time to walk their dogs through campus and bring joy to all the students passing by. I would like to use the five minutes I gained from getting let out of class early to pet and take pictures of frat puppies, actually I would like to spend all of my time petting and taking pictures of frat puppies.

5. Seeing Friends Around Campus

My day is often extremely lonely, as many of my friends are on an opposite schedule as me. Just seeing one of my friends from across the front lawn, maybe shouting distance away, causes me to run over and throw my arms around them. Then, of course, we proceed to have a 30 second conversation because we have lives to get back to, but you know, for those 30 seconds we are relieved to have someone to tell about our day. 

6. Finally Having Clean Clothes

As college students, it is in our nature to put off doing laundry until we genuinely cannot get by anymore. Looking around and trying to find a shirt that smells clean enough and reusing the same pair of socks for an entire week can get old. There is no better feeling than waking up the day after doing your laundry and having an abundance of clothing options. 

Stressed, scared, overwhelmed and exhausted. These are all words that describe college students nearly 100 percent of the time. These four years are so important that we tend to stretch ourselves too thin just trying to obtain all of the knowledge and experience we can before going out into the real world. When college life begins to be too much for you, search for small, seemingly insignificant things that somehow have the ability to put a smile on your face. 

Alyssa Nadler - Lehigh University