by Alyssa Lam

11 Freshmen Talk About Why They Miss Home

By Alyssa Lam - Sep 17 2016
Now that the fall semester has officially started at colleges around the globe, we at Fresh U have decided to ask students about how they are adjusting to the college life. The questions asked were: Are there things/freedoms about home that you miss or wish you had in college but don’t? How are you trying to avoid homesickness?

This is how they answered.

1. Jennifer L. – University of Connecticut (Storrs, CT)

Hometown: East Hartford, CT

I can’t shower or use the bathroom whenever I want to now that I share the bathroom with my whole floor. I also can’t eat whenever I want because the closest dining hall to me closes at 7:00pm. I avoid homesickness by going home every weekend.

2. Shantavia C. – Northeastern University (Boston, MA)

Home: Maryland

I miss having water all of the time because our dorm doesn’t have a water fountain. I try to avoid homesickness by trying new things and really keeping busy; it really keeps your mind off of home.

3. Julia B. – Towson University (Towson, MD)

Hometown: Shelton, CT

I'm from Shelton: Roll Gaels! I miss my dogs, my bed, being able to eat in a kitchen and spending time with my family. I miss being able to sing all of the time and have dance parties in my room whenever I want. For trying to get rid of homesickness, I’ve been trying to call my parents everyday and I’ve been trying to make friends so I don’t feel so lonely.

4. Amy A. – Northeastern University (Boston, MA)

Home: Pennsylvania (near Philadelphia)

”I miss Wawa, friends, having my parents pay for food, and air-conditioning in my room. In terms of homesickness, I avoid it by watching Netflix, meeting new people, studying and exploring.

5. Lindsay G. – Western Connecticut State University (Danbury, CT)

Hometown: Shelton, CT

Shelton always has and always will be my home. Some freedoms I miss are taking a shower in my own shower, sleeping in my own bed, being able to have a room to myself 24/7 and not having to worry about if what I’m doing is annoying someone else. I call home every day whether it be my best friend or family. It helps me remember that home is still home no matter where I am.

6. Emily J. – Keene State College (Keene, NH)

Hometown: Shelton, CT

I miss my dog so much and I deal with homesickness by crying in the shower.

7. Saara V. – University of Hartford (West Hartford, CT)

Hometown: Shelton, CT

There are so many different aspects of home that I miss and unfortunately don’t have in college. One main thing is having my family around me at all times. We are very close; we practically do everything together. Every night we try to have a family dinner where we talk about our day and upcoming events of the week. We really bond over our dinner talks. Also, I miss my friends who are still in high school, or at other colleges. Meeting new people is great and all, but I really miss having those people that really, truly know you already, and have shared memories with you. I definitely miss routine. At home, I know what my responsibilities are, and how I fit into the family dynamic. At college, I’m free to think for myself, which isn’t a terrible thing, but it definitely has me off track from what I normally am used to doing. Three weeks into college, and I think I’ve finally realized that there is no true way to avoid homesickness. While I’m always going to miss being home and a part of all the action, I find that calling, texting, Skyping, and snapchatting are ways for me to still feel connected to everyone and everything. I am also very lucky because I’m only an hour from home, so the weekends are when I get to spend quality time with the people I love.

8. Mufan X. – Northeastern University (Boston, MA)

Hometown: Albany, NY

I missed home-cooked meals and I avoid homesickness by meeting new people.

9. Nicole C. – Northeastern University (Boston, MA)

Home: Jamaica

”I miss the food, honestly, and having easy access to food, like having it downstairs instead of in a different building. And I like to distract myself with activities and homework and I also try not to think about it for too long!

10. Connie (Dayina) E. – Northeastern University (Boston, MA)

Home: Beijing, China

I miss my dad’s homemade dishes and a stress-free environment. I keep myself busy with hobbies, activities, events and friends to avoid homesickness.

11. Alyssa L. – Northeastern University (Boston, MA)

Hometown: Shelton, CT

I miss my family, friends and comforts of home the most. I’m so used to being around them all of the time that going several days without them feels pretty strange. I also miss home-cooked meals, being able to sing in the shower, playing piano and my queen-sized bed. I try not to think about homesickness too much and I always facetime my parents, sister and friends every day to keep in touch. I am starting to make more friends, join clubs, and studying definitely keeps me busy.

At the end of the day, while missing home is hard, college is a new adventure. As first-years, it's perfectly okay to hold on to the past, but don't forget to embrace change. You never know what you could gain from new experiences. So call home whenever you want, binge-watch Netflix, hug that stuffed animal from home or even have a cry. But sooner or later, we'll be looking back on college and missing it, so enjoy every moment!

Lead Image Credit: pexels.com

Alyssa Lam - Northeastern University

Alyssa Lam is a freshman at Northeastern University and one of Fresh U Northeastern's Junior Editor-in-Chiefs. She is undeclared; however she has interests in following a pre-medical track. In her free time, Alyssa likes to cook, work out, draw, write, hang out with friends, explore, and try new things. She prides herself on the fact she is short yet fierce. Find her on Instagram @lyssalam6.