Display shanna camilleri 190745
by Alyson Chuyang

6 Tips on Organizing Your Closet

By Alyson Chuyang - Jan 23 2018

Whether you are going back to a dorm, apartment, greek house, shoebox, etc., I can already assume you don’t have a grand walk-in closet at your place. If any of you are like me, I definitely have the struggle every semester of coming back to a small closet and having very little room for all of my clothes. It starts with me trying to squeeze everything in, but ultimately leads to laziness and clothes being shoved in any place that fits. It's messy! And it needs to stop. As a small new years resolution, I challenge you all to look in your closet and think of this motto: “Out with the old, and in with the new.”

Out with the Old

1. Sweep the Closet

No, not literally sweep it. Unless it's dusty, then maybe you should do that. What I mean is take a good look and analyze your clothes. Do you really think you will wear that top that you definitely outgrew a couple years ago? Or that shirt that you might wear to that super specific themed party only? Or all your high school sport and class shirts? Get that out of your closet and make that into a quilt, you won’t need all of them for gym shirts.

2. Prepare for the season.

Unless you live somewhere that requires a snow jacket one day and spaghetti straps the next, I suggest you free some room and season-prep. If it’s getting warmer, put some heavy sweaters and scarves away. You don’t have to completely leave them at home, but put them on the top shelf so you have a little more room for the clothes you want to wear right now.

3. Organize by color and collect hangers.

Now that you have done a sweep of your closet, organize your shirts by color. This will help you out a lot when you're visualizing a top you might want to wear and then having the one section of the closet to go to. If you have a double-decker closet, I recommend putting heavy sweatshirts and jackets on top and tops and pants on the bottom. This helps with even more division. If you just have the one bar, I usually put my jackets to one side and my tops color-categorized on the other side.

In with the New

4. Organizers!

The biggest space saver for me were hanging organizers or pull-out box shelves. My closet in my apartment is half the size of the one I have at home and I have to share it. I also don’t have a dresser, so utilizing hanging shelves allowed me to fit pants, shoes and tops in the closet. Investing in a small shoe rack at the foot of your closet will help a lot and keep all the clutter to a minimum.

5. Do a check every couple of months.

You want to make sure that your closet stays this way for as long as possible and not revert back to that messy state. Make sure you are routinely checking to see if you need to throw out/donate any old clothes or get a new hanging shelf because you stuffed so many clothes in it and it ripped. Don’t get lazy and you’ll thank yourself for it when you're rushing to find an outfit because you overslept and have 10 minutes to get to class. 

6. Fill the spaces (optional).

The fun part is rewarding yourself for cleaning out your closet and filling those empty spaces with new clothes! This part is optional, of course, but it definitely makes you feel better about all the work you did. Now, don’t go crazy and fill every space, because then you will be back to square one and maybe even in debt.

Let this closet cleanse be a symbol for you as the new year rolls in. Out with the old and in with the new! The mistakes or embarrassments or failures you had made in the past, those are old news. There’s nothing you can do to change the past, so let it go and focus on the present. Same with bad habits and old grudges, the new year should be just like your closet. Free of clutter and welcome to change! Happy closet cleaning!

Alyson Chuyang - San Jose State University

Alyson is an aspiring journalist from the sunny state of California. She is pursuing journalism at San Jose State University and takes inspiration from her experiences around campus and in her sorority. In her free time, she loves to go to concerts, play with her two-year old Westie, and try new food spots. She also blogs about all of it on her personal blog, lifewithalyc.wordpress.com!