Display man fan person football 54308
by Alyson Chuyang

4 Struggles of Being a Sports Fan Away from Home

By Alyson Chuyang - Nov 26 2017

I am a die-hard Golden State Warriors fan. I have been since 2009, when we were deep in losses, and our star player was Monta Ellis. It wasn’t a shock when we were down thirty points, and tickets were near $50. I still loved going to games with my grandfather. I watched games every other night, and remember coming home from practice and seeing the game, or being at work and trying to catch a glimpse at the TVs every now and then. However, coming to college, it was a different ballgame for me (pun not intended).

There are some aspects of college that make being a sports fan, not necessarily harder, but much different.

1. You can’t access cable all the time.

In the dorms freshman year, luckily we had something called Philo, which allowed us to access all the sports channels. Now that I am in an apartment, I am no longer spoiled and must pay for my own cable. Which pretty much means that I don’t have cable. Trying to stream a game with our neighbor's wifi can be a struggle, and by that time you already miss half the game.

2. There are different sports fans from different places.

This can be an extremely hard situation if you’re living with roommates who all have different opinions on sports teams. This is not necessarily a bad thing because you no longer live in the bubble of your hometown team. I used to be oblivious to all other teams, until watching other games and realizing the strength of opposing teams. But sometimes it is annoying seeing that Cavaliers jersey in my lecture hall.

3. You have a busier schedule.

When I was at home, I was always around when the games were on. Now with class, work, extracurriculars and other obligations, I can’t seem to find the time to sit and watch a game. Yes, I can see the highlights on my phone, but it just doesn’t give me the same feeling like I had at home. 

4. You are farther away from your hometown’s arena.

Some of us travel far to go to school, and that just means going farther away from home games! You can no longer grab a ticket for the next weekend, because that means planning a flight or a drive, and allocating time for a mini-vacay just for a game. It was so much easier when you were closer to home base.

The past year, my home team won the championship. While I was happy, I felt deeply disconnected with my roots. I’m lucky enough to live in the Bay Area still. There are many Golden State Warriors fans, but watching sports like when I was younger is much different. I admit, the passion isn’t there anymore. My advice to sports fans in high school is to take in all that free cable and enjoy being surrounded by your family who screams just as hard as you do. For my fellow collegiates, appreciate catching a game with friends, but don’t get hurt when they trash talk yours. It is all out of love. 

Alyson Chuyang - San Jose State University

Alyson is an aspiring journalist from the sunny state of California. She is pursuing journalism at San Jose State University and takes inspiration from her experiences around campus and in her sorority. In her free time, she loves to go to concerts, play with her two-year old Westie, and try new food spots. She also blogs about all of it on her personal blog, lifewithalyc.wordpress.com!