Display man notebook notes macbook
by Alyson Chuyang

My Experience Going to College in Silicon Valley

By Alyson Chuyang - Nov 01 2017

In the last decade, there has been a major tech boom, and all major companies reside in Silicon Valley. The valley has become the main center producing the most technological devices you currently hold in your hand. Apple, HP, Cisco, Google, Netflix, Facebook, and Tesla are just a handful of the most booming businesses in the industry right now. Just a mere fifteen minutes away is where I go to school! I currently attend San Jose State University as a journalism student.

A little background: I was very upset that after an exhausting application process, I was only accepted to my two ‘safety’ schools. I thought that I had worked so hard in school, only to be greeted with six rejections. However, when I evaluated how I chose the other schools, it was merely for the name even if they were located in the middle of nowhere.

A year and a half later, I am content and fully immersed in the school I am at right now. I was completely against coming here because I thought I was better than a state school. But the real purpose of college is how you choose to utilize your resources to succeed and move toward your career path! It definitely does not matter where you go, as long as you make your location worth it!

Some statistics about San Jose State: our engineering college ranked sixth nationally in the  U.S. News & World Report 2018 rankings. While we aren’t number one, the location we are in bumps us up in the ranks. Utilizing what is around our area, students are able to find internships not just close to home, but at really big companies. According to the SJSU Engineering website, graduates from San Jose represent the largest alumni group in major companies like Apple and Cisco.

There are countless opportunities for students at my school to work at major companies, but it's not just San Jose State that has these opportunities. Many students look at the school’s reputation as their prime source to see if they will succeed. Without going on an independence tangent, I will say that the most successful students succeed in any obstacle they are given. They seek out opportunities, instead of looking for the school to give that to them. My father is an employer at Apple Inc., and he said that he looks at experience rather than the name of the university an applicant graduated from.

Keeping that in my mind, I looked for every opportunity for an internship to write. I took a journalism class last semester and my professor told his stories about working for the local paper, The Mercury News. It opened my eyes that opportunities for a job were right around the corner. Although I wasn't ecstatic about coming to a state school, I have learned to be grateful that I have the education and readily available tools here. I found this writing opportunity at Fresh U and realized I never gave a proper shoutout to my school, so here I am! However, it doesn't matter whether you go to community, state or private university. What matters is how you choose to make of your college experience! 

There are opportunities everywhere, and you should not be discouraged if you don’t necessarily get into your top school. In my case, I never expected to go to school in the Bay Area, but after seeing the countless opportunities to get internships, especially in my major here, I am in love with my school. It is up to you to make the best out of an unlikely situation. 

Alyson Chuyang - San Jose State University

Alyson is an aspiring journalist from the sunny state of California. She is pursuing journalism at San Jose State University and takes inspiration from her experiences around campus and in her sorority. In her free time, she loves to go to concerts, play with her two-year old Westie, and try new food spots. She also blogs about all of it on her personal blog,!