Display tower hall 02
by Alyson Chuyang

A Freshman's Guide To San Jose State University

By Alyson Chuyang - Dec 11 2017

The bustle of downtown San Jose will have you on your toes everyday, but in every right way. We have the center of our campus in the middle of Silicon Valley, and probably the best Asian cuisine spots you’ll ever encounter. This school is amazingly diverse and boasts a variety of sports, majors and organizations. Here are a couple aspects of San Jose State that you might want to know about before coming here.

1. Dorms and Construction

Our campus will always be changing, but it's nice to know we keep up with the times. Image credit: Unsplash

It’s a really exciting feeling to move into the dorms, but don’t be surprised when you are greeted with constant construction all around campus. San Jose likes to renovate and build constantly, but you will surely dismiss it once you start making long-lasting friendships.

2. HoBags, Sevo, Philz, Spartan Taco Truck

Philz is a great downtown spot to grab coffee, mint mojitos and ecstatics being their popular iced drink! Image credit: Alyson Chuyang

These are pretty much the places college goers hit up the most in our area. Don’t understand the terms? Hobags is an amazing little bagel nook which is actually called House of Bagels. Sevo is short for 7/11 which a lot of us hit up for the essentials on a late night run. Philz is the number one coffee source that keeps caffeine running through our veins and our brains working, somewhat. Spartan Taco Truck is open at 10 p.m. and whether you hit it up after a late night munchie run, or a study break, it never disappoints.

3. Greek Life

There are social sororities and fraternities, as well as multicultural ones that you could rush! Image credit: Alyson Chuyang

We don’t have the largest Greek community out there, but it still is everything that a Greek community should give you. Going greek is a great way to meet a lot of people and transition yourself into the swing of college. It is such a supportive group of people, and while it may not be for everyone, it is definitely something to try out.

4. Parking

Image credit: Unsplash

If you are going to commute or you’re thinking about bringing your car to school, you might want to think twice about finding luck with street parking. Get yourself a permit– it will help a ton. Downtown San Jose is way too packed, and trying to find parking gets to be a bloody battle.

5. Asian cuisines and Boba