by Alicia Gonzales

Why I Decided to Leave My Home City for College

By Alicia Gonzales - May 20 2016

Attending college was something I always knew I wanted to do. But when Junior year came around, I suddenly realized that it wasn’t as easy as “going to college”. As I began to research colleges I realized how many amazing colleges and universities there are in the country. For a while I was set on attending a school in my state because that was just the way things worked, and I thought why would I be any different? After doing my research though, I realized that that wasn’t what I wanted to do. I looked at schools all the way from New Hampshire to Minnesota to California, and suddenly I began getting much more excited about college than I was before. I became excited about the idea of being my own person. About being able to be a responsible adult who didn’t have to rely on my family for everything I do. After months of extensive research my mind always went back to a school in Pennsylvania. It was a medium sized school that had the exact fit that I was looking for. It was about 3 hours away from my house, and that felt like the perfect distance to me. It was close enough that I could come home if I had to, but far away enough that I wouldn’t find myself going home on the weekends separating myself from the rest of campus. All that was left to do was apply and get accepted.

And I did.

GIFsec

To some people there may be a taboo around going out of state. There are beliefs that it’s too expensive and impossible to do without drowning in debt years later. To anyone that thinks this, and is giving up on their dreams, I’m here to tell you that that is wrong. There are thousands of colleges all across the world, each with their own individual assets. I personally knew that I didn’t want to stay in my home city when I went to college. I felt like this was a chapter of my life that I needed to close. I made many memories and accomplished many things during these years, but it was time to move on to greater things. Going away for college gives me an opportunity to see different places, and experience a new way of life from what I’ve always known.

If you’re looking into colleges that are far away, or even out of state, I encourage you to do some research and I highly bet that you will find a school for you. It may take more time or work, but if you really want it you must be willing to put forth the effort. There are countless resources available to you that will help you make this process easier.

And if you don’t want to move away that’s just as okay. College is all about you an individual, and you should do whatever makes you the most comfortable and happy.

Lead Image Source: Brian Turner via Flickr Creative Commons

Alicia Gonzales - Slippery Rock University

Alicia is a freshman at Slippery Rock University and is majoring in Criminology. She enjoys anything that has to do with Hamilton and Disney, probably a little bit too much.