Display sheet music 1229481 960 720
by Alicia Gonzales

What I Learned From My High School's Music Department

By Alicia Gonzales - Jun 19 2016
Throughout high school, people tend to join different groups. These groups, or “cliques," are what define your high school career. Even though you have friends throughout school, somehow you always end up with this certain group and these certain people. For me, this group was the music kids.

I joined my school’s music department in 4th grade, both the chorus and band. Even though I quit playing my saxophone in the 6th grade, I remained in chorus until I graduated.

For me, chorus became a class that was such a part of my schedule that I couldn't imagine life without it. The people in these ensembles have become the family that have made my high school experience the way it was. Being down in the music rooms during my free periods was just a way of life for music kids including myself.

The students and teachers that make up my school’s music department have been the leading influence in my life. They've taught me what it means to be passionate about something. What it means to have something that motivates you in a way that you love. The students have shown me drive I’ve never seen anywhere else. The students are so talented and have such a bright future, I feel honored to call them my friends. The teachers have been there for me whenever I need them, and have become my second home. They remind me that everyone is a star and no matter how small I may feel, they make me feel like I can do anything.

Music is such an important part of people's lives, including mine, and joining these groups is one of the best thing I've done. To anyone still in high school, I advise you to keep your group close because one day you won’t all be together. The memories you make will be some of the best in your life, so whether it be music, track or language: take time to enjoy it.

Lead Image Credit: ElasticComputeFarm via pixabay.com

Alicia Gonzales - Slippery Rock University

Alicia is a freshman at Slippery Rock University and is majoring in Criminology. She enjoys anything that has to do with Hamilton and Disney, probably a little bit too much.