Display 13971170279 fa0895e879 b
by Alicia Gonzales

The 5 Stages of Finding a Roommate Online

By Alicia Gonzales - Jul 03 2016

When someone decides to live on campus at college, often the biggest concern they have is who their roommate is going to be. From the very beginning, we have heard the horror stories of completely opposite people getting paired up, and the chaos that follows.

With the Internet at hand now, the roommate search has completely changed. Instead of going random, many people try to meet someone prior through social media. This process can be very time consuming and stressful, the steps are as follows.

1. Figuring out yourself.

joepetro.tumblr.com

Sometimes you don’t know what you want in a roommate, because you've never really thought about it. I mean what are you even like? Are you clean, messy or a little bit of both? These things are important to know when meeting someone you’ll be living with for a year. It’s also important to figure out the living environment you want. There are many options such as suites or traditional halls, and it’s all up to your personal preference on what you want.

2. Posting something online.

reddit.com

We all know the class of 2020 (or whatever year you may be) groups that let people going to the same school connect. On this page you can post an introduction of yourself Including your major, where you’re from, interests and more. You then hope someone will see your post and message you.

3. Realizing no one will message you so it’s time to be brave and make the first move.

funnyarena.net

OK, maybe this isn't for everyone but it sure did seem to happen a lot to me. Look yourself and look until you find a potential match. If it seems right, you message them first!

4. The endless conversations.

fallontonight.tumblr.com

You talk to what seems like countless people, but some don't reply or you just don’t hit it off. There's a certain feeling you get when you know a roommate is “the one” and if you aren't feeling it with someone, it's alright to recognize that and decide not to room together. You do this many times until you find someone who you really think you are compatible with.

5. Popping the question.

gifdumpdump.tumblr.com

You and this other person have been talking for a while now, you seem to share many things in common. You think you may have found your potential roommate, all that's left to do is ask, “Do you wanna be roommates?” Once you get over the awkwardness of asking the question, it’s such a relief. If they answer "yes," all that’s left to do is make it official and request each other online.

When you finally find your roommate, it can feel like a lot of stress has been taken off of you. It's one less thing to worry about and, soon after, you can start planning the fun stuff with your future roomie on things like dorm decorations and more. Picking a roommate has changed dynamically over the years, but in the world today it can be much more easy and efficient to do it online.

Lead Image Credit: Matt Nazario-Miller via Flickr Creative Commons

Alicia Gonzales - Slippery Rock University

Alicia is a freshman at Slippery Rock University and is majoring in Criminology. She enjoys anything that has to do with Hamilton and Disney, probably a little bit too much.