Display stack letters 447579 960 720
by Alicia Gonzales

A Letter to My Future Self

By Alicia Gonzales - Sep 02 2016

Dear Future Me,

It’s been four years now, and you’re officially a college graduate. I hope you have enjoyed these few years you’ve had here because they went by quick (or so I’ve heard). As a freshman who is just experiencing my first days of class I can already tell I’m in for a wild ride. I'm going to experience a lot of things, from school to parties to even relationships, but I'm ready to take it on. Right now I'm not sure what my future looks like, but that's okay. I have time to figure myself out, figure out my goals, my dreams and my aspirations. 

You, however, are a wise, experienced and knowledgeable graduate. I hope you have done all the things I wish I do. I hope that you have stayed true to yourself, maintained your beliefs and stood your ground. You've met a lot of people along the way, but you are who you are and you should never change for anyone. I know that you’ve seen some good days and you’ve seen some ugly days, but here you are stronger than ever. You’ve overcome these obstacles and faced some of the biggest challenges you’ll have to face. So congrats! You can now look at the real world with the confidence it takes to make something of yourself. So go ahead and put yourself out there, reach your ambitions, do whatever it takes to succeed. But along the way make sure you’re still happy and filled with love. Take time for others, but also yourself. 

Hopefully you’re not that different than me now, but hopefully you have grown into something I can be proud of. I hope you are still kind, brave and even more. College is such an important part of life, and I hope it has bettered you in more ways than one. 

And it may seem rough right now: scary and uncertain, but just know that younger you will always be rooting for you from a distance. I’m hoping that we not only make a mark on the world, but a mark on the people that we meet in our life. Because if there's one thing I know, it's that I want to be an influence - I want you to be an influence. I want to inspire people that I meet to be a good person. I want to inspire people to follow their dreams and to never give up on what they want. So if you've done that, I thank you and look forward to the people I meet along the way.

Also, just a reminder that nothing is more important than your happiness, if it’s not making you happy it’s not worth it. I may not know where you’ll be in the future, but just take a deep breath and know that everything will be alright. I promise.

Sincerely,

Alicia

Lead Image Source: Andrys via Pixabay

Alicia Gonzales - Slippery Rock University

Alicia is a freshman at Slippery Rock University and is majoring in Criminology. She enjoys anything that has to do with Hamilton and Disney, probably a little bit too much.