Display 80s aesthetic eighties grease 3970264
by Alicia Gonzales

9 Movie Inspired Group Halloween Costumes

By Alicia Gonzales - Oct 25 2016

Sometime Halloween can be rough. After spending hours upon hours looking for costume ideas on Pinterest, you may leave feeling overwhelmed. Adding the fact that this is your first time away at college, it creates a recipe for disaster. One way to help ease the anxiety that may occur during this holiday is to get a group of friends together and celebrate Halloween by wearing matching costumes. And what does everyone love? Movies. Here's eight group costume ideas inspired by movies.

1. Heathers

This cult classic starring Winona Ryder is described by some as a “Dark Mean Girls." It has captured the hearts of many for decades, and will most likely continue to do so. To do this look dress in a skirt, blazer and all the other components that create a preppy school outfit. Top it off with some wild 80’s hair, and you’re good to go.

2. Harry Potter

Everyone loves this series about the magical life we wish we had. This one is cool because there are many different routes you could go. You can go as different characters from the films or get four people to go together and represent each house! Merchandise such as scarves, robes and shirts can be found on many different websites online!

3. The Avengers

Who doesn’t love a good superhero? This one is good if people don’t want to go all out. Buy a shirt of your favorite member and maybe a mask or something special, and everyone is sure to understand who you’re supposed to be.

Note: This can also work with any superhero group, such as the X-Men!

4. Star Wars

Get a large group of people together, and this one is a perfect fit. These iconic costumes and characters are great for everyone, and are sure to be a hit. All the characters have their own signature that makes each one special. Princess Leia? Create some cute space buns! Darth Vader? Buy a black cape and mask to create the villainous aura. Hand out some light sabres to everyone for a group costume out of this world - no pun intended.

5. The Wizard of Oz

Lions, tigers and bears - oh my! This timeless classic is one perfect for all movie lovers. Wearing all gray gives an effect for the Tinman, Dorothy’s ruby red slippers and braids, a flannel for the scarecrow and an orange tutu around the face are all easy articles that can be used to complete outfits from the movie.

6. Disney Princes and Princesses

Any Disney movie has its main characters so this can be applied to any Disney film, but some of the franchise's most important characters are the Disney princesses. From Cinderella to Rapunzel, there’s a princess for everyone. You can buy costumes or even “Disneybound” with color scheming and accessories. This is also really cute if you want to go with couples!

7. Grease

The fashion of the 1950’s is something mega fun and interesting. Add music and this movie is a hit to many. Get some girls, some pink jackets and poodle skirts and you’ve got the coolest girl gang out there: the Pink Ladies. For the guys, a plain white t-shirt and slicked back hair provides the greaser look that compliments the girl's costumes.

8. Scooby Doo

The Mystery Inc. team is one of the most famous groups on the big screen and television! Each character brings something special and unique. Velma's orange clothing and glasses or Shaggy's laid back outfit create something we all can't help but love. Show up in these costumes ready to party and fight some monsters (real estate speculators, of course).

Halloween is an exciting part of the year, and costumes are one of the most notable traditions. So whether you go as an individual or with others, rock some confidence in your costume and celebrate the start of the fall/winter holidays!

Lead Image Credit: Paramount Pictures

Alicia Gonzales - Slippery Rock University

Alicia is a freshman at Slippery Rock University and is majoring in Criminology. She enjoys anything that has to do with Hamilton and Disney, probably a little bit too much.