by Ali Acker

8 Moments When You Realized You Were Thriving in College

By Ali Acker - Nov 05 2017

Adjusting to life in college can be hard. New friends, new classes and new food; it can be overwhelming, but once you start getting the hang of things, you’ll realize you’re doing great. Here are eight signs that you're thriving in college:

1. You know the best late pizza place on campus.

After a night out, nothing hits the spot like a hot slice. All schools have joints that stay open late for hungry college student with burgers, fries or cookies, but you can never go wrong with pizza. When you first got to school, all food that wasn’t in the dining hall seemed great. But there’s hidden foodie gems on campus that take some time to discover. Once you find the best pizza place, you’re set for the rest of your college experience.

2. You know the best times to laundry.

Doing laundry is always a hassle. At the beginning of the semester, you struggled to find time to do laundry. Whenever you went to do laundry, it seemed like all the machines were always full. However, you started figuring out when the machines are empty, and your clothes have never smelled better.

3. You found the best study spot.

Some study in the library, some in their dorm rooms. Finding a good study spot is essential. After wandering around campus, you found the perfect spot on a grassy quad or a cozy table in a coffee shop on campus. Once you found your spot, you knew studying wouldn’t be so bad after all.

4. You know where all your favorite frat houses are.

The first few weeks on campus, figuring out the social scene was hard. All Greek houses seem to look the same and you would just follow the crowd. However, after making some friends and going into some parties, you’ll find your favorite frat house with great music and new friends.

5. You get your first good grade.

In high school, you did great on tests, homework and teachers knew your name. College is different. In classes of 300 students, it’s hard to get individual attention from professors. Homework got harder and maintaining good grades while figuring out how to live on your own was overwhelming. But eventually you figured out your schedule, classes and how to study for your tests. Nothing feels better than working hard and getting your first good grade on a midterm or paper.

6. You went to your first date function.

In the first few weeks, you heard about the fun of date functions, but were unsure how to get an invite. They were a smaller get together that featured awesome themes. As a freshman, it would be hard to snag an invite. However, once you made some nice older friends who showed you the ropes, you were dancing your way to date functions.

7. You have your first visitor.

In the first few week of school, you didn’t know much about life at your school. You learned the ins and outs of the dining hall, dorm life and the best spots to hang out. When you had your first visitor from off-campus, being able to show off the great features of your school, you felt like a true student.

8. You find your group of friends.

Meeting lots of new people the first few weeks is great. But with so many people, it’s hard to make really close friends. It took some time, but after joining some clubs and reaching out you started making some friends. Once you found your group of close friends you could truly be yourself around, you knew college was going to be a good time.

College can be a big change, and it’s hard to feel at home when you’re on your own. But I promise you’ll figure it out. It’ll be in those little moments in your first months at school that you’ll realize you're thriving. 

Lead Image Credit: Ali Acker

Ali Acker - University of Virginia