Display image
by Alexis Solorzano

Why Fourth of July Is Different For Me and All Incoming College Freshman This Year

By Alexis Solorzano - Jul 04 2016

Fourth of July, otherwise known as Independence Day, is a day known for celebrating the final parting of the colonies from Great Britain. As Americans it is a day that we remember the brave men that fought for our freedom and brilliant men who wrote the declaration that would change history forever. We celebrate and remember our nation’s history with festivals, parades, fireworks, and not to be forgotten, hot dogs.

However, this Independence Day is not like any others--at least for me. This Independence Day I not only celebrate our country’s blessing of freedom but a special personal freedom of my own. After four (seemingly long) years, I graduated finally high school. I will now be moving on to an entire new world unlike one I have ever seen. I celebrate my transition into official adulthood, moving away from my family and finally becoming independent by standing on my own two feet. Luckily, I will always have my family and friends to fall back on when times get rough (A luxury the colonies did not have available to them with Great Britain but luckily found friendship with France instead). After our country’s freedom, starting a great nation was not easy. There was turmoil throughout the land and especially present with the Founding Fathers. However, after countless pages of writing and debates, a foundation that would stick for the next couple hundred years was built.

My transition into college will be no easy feat either. Graduating from a small high school of only four hundred girls, I will immerse myself this fall to an incoming freshman class of roughly around five thousand students. Standing on my own, I will experience many inner conflicts and turmoils--from classes, to grades, essays, having a personal life, eating healthy, finding clubs, etc. The list goes on and I know it will be a rocky start. However, just like our great country, I will find a way to persevere and only grow more confident. Sure, I’ll make many mistakes along the way, but it is important that I learn from them and grow as a person. There are mistakes in our history’s past, there is no question about it. But as a country, we have amended them for the better. Even in present day, we find ourselves in internal conflict regarding politics or social aspects, but that’s okay. We all have a voice and hold the freedom to use it as we see accordingly.

Therefore, this year, as we all gather to celebrate Fourth of July and enjoy all the festivities that are all around us, do not forget to celebrate your own independence as well. This is to all the incoming college freshman that are excited, or nervous, or all of the above for this fall. We made it and are ready for this new part of our lives. As I sit to watch the fireworks and eat a hot dog or two with family and friends, I will have a sense of pride and accomplishment not just for my country--but for myself as well. Happy Fourth everyone.

Lead Image Credit: Jackson Miller via Instagram (@millerj_photography) 

Alexis Solorzano - University of California, Davis

Alexis is a college freshman at the University of California, Davis and is a declared double major in English and American Studies. Along with her passion for writing, Alexis is happily in her sorority, Chi Omega and is a part of her university's chorus. Feel free to follow and reach out to her on Instagram, @alexis013.