Starting college is an exciting time for all incoming freshmen. However, for many new college students, this also means the beginning of a long distance relationship. Many significant others may stay in their hometowns or may be starting college as well — only in a completely different school and location.  It is no secret that long distance relationships take a lot of work, however I decided to beg the question: what exactly does it take to make them happy, long and successful?

I asked friends and strangers this very question. Some have been, currently are or will be in a long distance relationship. Here are their answers.

"Understanding." -M, 70 years old. 

Maintained a long distance relationship with his wife for five years (4,500 miles).

Alexis Solorzano

“Timing.” -M, 18 years old.

An incoming college freshman starting a long distance relationship in the fall (72.4 miles).

Alexis Solorzano

“Pure love.” -F, 18.

An incoming college freshman beginning long distance relationship in the fall with M, 18 above (72.4 miles).

Alexis Solorzano

"Talk it out." -M, 16 years old.

An incoming junior in high school beginning a long distance relationship in the fall (104 miles).

Alexis Solorzano

"Patience." -F, 18 years old.

I, myself, am beginning a long distance relationship after a year and a half with M, 16 above (104 miles).

Ramona Williams

"Devotion" -M, 40 years old.

-M, 40 years old. Began a long distance relationship twelve years ago and is now married (88.4 miles)

Alexis Solorzano

"Faith, trust, and pixie dust." -F, 13 years old.

No experience with a long distance relationship. 

Alexis Solorzano

"Interest." -F, 28. 

Alexis Solorzano

"Trust." -F, 18. 

An incoming college freshman starting a long distance relationship in the fall (516 miles).

Alexis Solorzano

And lastly, 

"Love." -M, 5 years old. 

Alexis Solorzano

At the end of the day, long distance relationships take a lot of hard work and dedication. However, if two people are willing to make it work, their love will be worth every mile that they are apart. Every relationship is different but to the ten different people I asked, these are key components to what help make the relationship flourish and succeed. As Nicholas Sparks once wrote, “Sometimes you have to be apart from the people you love, but that doesn’t make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more.”