Display school furniture education university large
by Alexis Solorzano

7 Questions People Going to 'Unknown' Schools Are Tired of Being Asked

By Alexis Solorzano - Sep 30 2016

With almost 3,000 four year colleges and universities in the United States, there are bound to be schools that many have not heard of. Some may be colleges with smaller enrollment or local schools in rural or suburban communities. Either way, when a typical college student is asked the unavoidable question of, "Where do you go?" there are some who have to deal with the follow up response of confusion. Here are five questions we're tired of hearing. 

1. "What is that?" 

Giphy

It could be really insulting when people do a double take after you tell them where you go and they ask this question. Of course it's a real school and yes, it does in fact exist. It’s a college that I attend. What else could it be?

2. “Did you go because you didn’t get into your top choices?”

Giphy

One of the more rude questions, asking this may be very personal and just a terrible assumption. I’m attending because I loved the school regardless of where else I got accepted, thanks.

3. “Where even is it?”

Giphy

Though it may not always be in the name, I promise that it’s here in America. On Earth. Do you need a map perhaps? School "prestige" does not depend on location. 

4. “Is your school known for anything?”

Giphy

Do all colleges have to be known for a certain subject or sport? This question can be super vague and not relevant to how good of a school it is. We're known for being awesome. 

5. "Will going to your college hurt your chances of getting a job or acceptance to a good grad school?"

Giphy

Simply put, no. Going to a "big name" school does not mean that it is an advantage over everyone else. I just have to do my best, make good grades and believe in myself to make it happen. My school, or any other, will not make it happen for me. 

6. "Are there any well known alumni from there?"

Giphy

Soon to be, me. Will knowing any well known alumni help you decide how worthy my school is? Notable alumni do not define a school or its history. Instead, try focusing on the classes and professors that really make up the heart of the college. 

7. "Why did you choose that school?"

Giphy

I fell in love with the campus and the community. Turns out, I’m perfectly happy where I am now. This is where I wanted to go because I knew it would be most beneficial to me, no matter what kind of name or reputation it has. 

At the end of the day, known or not, we’re proud of the places we go to whether or not they have a great "reputation." So keep representing your college and never be afraid to show school pride and spirit!

Alexis Solorzano - University of California, Davis

Alexis is a college freshman at the University of California, Davis and is a declared double major in English and American Studies. Along with her passion for writing, Alexis is happily in her sorority, Chi Omega and is a part of her university's chorus. Feel free to follow and reach out to her on Instagram, @alexis013.