Display brock
by Alexa Marzina

This is What the Letter by Brock Turner's Father Should Have Said

By Alexa Marzina - Jun 07 2016

By now, you've likely seen the outrageous letter written by the father of rapist and ex-Stanford swimmer, Brock Turner. 

In it, the father defends his son's actions when he was found guilty of raping a girl behind a dumpster after a night of drinking. Now, a few edited, "correct" versions of the letter have popped up online. In the original letter, Turner is painted as the victim; his swimming career will never be the same and he doesn't even have an appetite because of how much he's been affected by the traumatizing events. Appalled by the victim-blaming in this case, a new, corrected letter has now gone viral:

There have been a few versions of a corrected letter circulating, but all seek to get rid of the blatant victim-blaming and perpetuation of rape-culture present in the original letter.

Let us not forget the true victim in this case: the girl who was raped. Rape is never the victim's fault, but that's not what Turner's lawyer argued. 

Your attorney has repeatedly pointed out, well we don’t know exactly when she became unconscious. And you’re right, maybe I was still fluttering my eyes and wasn’t completely limp yet. That was never the point. I was too drunk to speak English...

It has been said that Turner plans to spend his time now educating college students on the college campus drinking culture and the sexual promiscuity that goes along with that, but that issue is simply not the issue at hand. The issues in this case are rape and consent, which clearly are not taught enough in this world.

If the victim is unresponsive and cannot give a clear, "Yes," answer, consent is not given and any sexual contact is illegal.

It is cases like this that remind us that we can never over-teach the idea of consent to college aged people, especially. Drinking, even underage, should NEVER imply that a person desires sexual contact with ANYONE unless coherently spoken directly. Rape is never the victim's fault no matter what they were wearing or how much they drank.

This new letter really reflects the situation much more accurately. We can only hope that, as one society and as one world, educating everyone about victim-blaming and sexual assault can help to rid the world of both entirely.

Lead Image Credit: Jahlise Emilie D'Amour Chard via Facebook

Alexa Marzina - University of Pittsburgh

Alexa is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in nonfiction English writing and pursuing a certificate in American Sign Language. She also plays clarinet in the University of Pittsburgh Varsity Marching Band. One day, Alexa hopes to own at least three corgis. Follow her on Twitter @alexa_lou and Instagram @_alexalou