Display spirited away
by Alexa Marzina

Freshman Year as Told by Spirited Away

By Alexa Marzina - Mar 11 2016

While watching a movie, oftentimes there are a lot of scenes that make you think, “I can relate to that!” (Or more recently, the classic, “same.”) They’re usually scenes in movies with real life actors, but what about animated movies? Surprisingly, they can be just as relatable even though the characters aren’t “real.” The following are gifs from the animated classic, Spirited Away, and they definitely apply to your freshman year experience so far.

1. Watching your old life fly into the past on move-in day.

giphy

2. Trying to navigate through campus buildings like:

giphy

3. When the workload in college was way more than you ever encountered in high school.

giphy

4. You’re not used to living with other people and your neighbors are always too loud.

giphy

5. Having to run through crowds of people when you’re late for class.

giphy

6. What happens when you leave your old ramen and easy mac bowls laying around.

giphy

7. Picking partners for group projects is always chaotic.

giphy

8. You forgot your umbrella. Again. For the fifth time.

giphy

9. When you fail a test…

giphy

10. …but you have a good friend to get you back on your feet.

giphy

11. Going home for a break and can’t wait to eat home-cooked food.

giphy

12. Acting like you understand fraternity/sorority rituals to get the invites to the parties.

giphy

13. When you don’t do any homework over the weekend and then suddenly it’s Sunday night.

giphy

14. How you felt after just the first week of eating dining hall food.

giphy

15. When you show up to your 8 A.M. only to find a cancellation sign on the door.

giphy

16. Remembering at 11:30 that you have homework due at midnight.

giphy

17. Finally getting to see your significant other after a rough week.

giphy

18. When you’ve skipped a class so many times you forgot what room it’s in.

giphy

19. Having four homework assignments, an online quiz and two tests to study for but you decide to take a nap instead.

giphy

20. You don’t want to go to a campus event but the poster says, “Free food!”

giphy

21. Your dorm room is about the size of a closet.

giphy

22. When you finally get to go home for the summer and complain to your parents about how much sleep you need to catch up on.

giphy

Every freshman goes through the struggle, so if you found yourself thinking, “same” to any of these gifs, you’re not alone. It’s totally fine that the struggles of college freshmen are the same as the ones encountered by a ten-year-old girl, right? 

Lead image credit: giphy

Alexa Marzina - University of Pittsburgh

Alexa is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in nonfiction English writing and pursuing a certificate in American Sign Language. She also plays clarinet in the University of Pittsburgh Varsity Marching Band. One day, Alexa hopes to own at least three corgis. Follow her on Twitter @alexa_lou and Instagram @_alexalou