Display lastfiveyears
by Alexa Marzina

8 Movies to Watch on Netflix if You Need a Good Cry

By Alexa Marzina - Dec 11 2016

College is a rollercoaster of emotions — one moment you feel on top of the world, but then you finally remember that you accidentally skipped your recitation yesterday. There are a lot of different things that you’re going to feel during your time at college, and sometimes you won’t even know how to feel. For times when you’re unsure, or even if you’re definitely having a bad day, a good solid cry can oftentimes be just the thing you need to make it through the rest of the day! Don’t be ashamed, just put on your most comfy clothes, cuddle up in your bed and load up one of these tear-jerking movies on Netflix.

1. The Last Five Years

Based on the off-Broadway musical, this movie follows lovers Jamie and Cathy through their five-year relationship. The twist is that Jamie’s timeline starts in chronological order, starting with when the couple met, and Cathy’s starts right after the end of their marriage. You’ll be crying and singing along in no time.

2. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

This is for when you really need to ugly cry. This film explores a WWII extermination camp through the eyes of two eight-year-old boys: Bruno, who lives with his family in Berlin, and Schmuel, a Jewish inmate. Obviously this movie contains very sensitive historical content, so this will definitely get your tear ducts working.

3. The Lovely Bones

This movie follows the life, death and post-death of a young girl named Susie Salmon who was brutally murdered by a neighbor while walking home from school. The hope of Susie’s family to find her alive and, later, their determination to catch the murderer will definitely have you crying and rooting for them the whole time. The Lovely Bones has a very satisfying ending that will make all your tears feel worthwhile.

4. Charlie St. Cloud

If death in movies gets you teary-eyed, then get a whole box of tissues ready before you press play on this one. Zac Efron, as Charlie, makes a promise to his younger brother, Sam, that he will practice baseball with him everyday until he goes to college. When the two get into an intense car accident, though, everything changes. Will Charlie be able to keep his promise, or will something like the girl of his dreams get in the way?

5. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

This film follows nine-year-old Oskar, who has Asperger syndrome, on his quest to find the matching lock for a key he finds in his dad’s room after his father passes away in the September 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. As Oskar deals with the grief of losing a parent, as well as facing his fears, you will not be able to help a few (or more) tears slipping out.

6. The Fundamentals of Caring

Ben, a retired writer who indirectly caused his own son’s death, gets a job as a caregiver and takes particular interest in his patient Trevor, who has Duchenne muscular dystrophy. They go on a road trip, as Trevor has a fascination with roadside attractions, and encounter all sorts of scenarios: a new crush that wants to run away from home, an extremely pregnant woman and a long-lost father.

7. The Kite Runner

Based on the popular novel of the same name by Khaled Hosseini, this movie explores the rocky friendship between Amir and the son of his father’s servant, Hassan, during the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. When a certain turn of events puts Hassan in a bad situation at the hands of Amir, Amir starts to question if the life he has been living is the truth.

8. Lilo and Stitch

Don’t fight me on this one. When Stitch realizes what “ohana” really is I honestly sob every time. This basically applies to most Disney animated films that have a lesson like Lilo and Stitch does, so you have infinitely many more options if you still need to let your emotions out.

College can be a scary time emotionally, and you should never be ashamed or afraid to let those emotions show. Even if you feel like you need to cry for literally no reason, just let it out! You will feel better in the long run, trust me.

Lead Image Credit: Grand Peaks Entertainment

Alexa Marzina - University of Pittsburgh

Alexa is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in nonfiction English writing and pursuing a certificate in American Sign Language. She also plays clarinet in the University of Pittsburgh Varsity Marching Band. One day, Alexa hopes to own at least three corgis. Follow her on Twitter @alexa_lou and Instagram @_alexalou