Display glenn carstens peters 190592
by Alexa Marzina

8 Lists to Make Right Now

By Alexa Marzina - Feb 22 2017

Some people acknowledge that they are “list people,” as in they like the feeling of making a list and being able to cross off tasks/items as you complete or think about them. Sometimes lists can just be good resources for things you want to remember or think about in the future. Lists are great for all kinds of things! So, even if you don’t think you’re a list person now, try making one (or more) of these eight lists and feel the satisfaction it creates.

1. To-Do List

The most obvious of all lists to make. If you’ve never made a list of all the things you want to complete in a day (or a week), it’s never too late to start! Seeing everything you want to accomplish helps you to prioritize your time, and crossing each item off — even if it’s just a small task — is extremely satisfying.

2. A List of Your Favorite Names

Maybe you’re a writer who can never think of fitting names for your characters. Maybe you want to be a parent some day and want to get ahead on picking out names. Or you got a new plant for your room and want to name it. Names can be useful for all sorts of things, or just fun to look at! Maybe you can even list names that you wish you had or would prefer to be called by; the possibilities are endless.

3. Inspirational Quotes/Lyrics

We all get down in the dumps sometimes when not even the most sunshiney of days can cheer us up. Cue up your favorite inspirational quotes! When reading a piece of literature, listening to a song or even hearing something in casual conversation, it can be easy to identify with a line super strongly and want to remember it, just to forget it when you try to think of it later. If you start to write all these down, however, you’ll always have them in a place you’ll be able to reference them on your gloomy days.

4. Nice Things People Have Done for You

Or vice versa. Little acts of gratitude often get lost in the hustle and bustle of life and it can be tempting to believe that humans are innately bad. Once you keep track of the little niceties people do for you, though, you realize that being nice doesn’t always have to be a big scale production, it really is the little things in life.

5. Places You Want to Visit

This can be as broad as countries or as specific as that one ice cream place in the next town over that gives you unlimited free toppings. It can be easy to hear about an interesting place and idly think, “Yeah, it would be super cool to go there!” but immediately forget that you ever wanted to visit this place. Writing them all down in one place reminds you of your travel destinations — maybe once you acquire enough you can plan a road trip?

6. Everyday Accomplishments

Similar to in list four, our little daily accomplishments can easily get forgotten when we remember something else we need to do. But sometimes taking a shower, doing your laundry, checking the mail or brushing your hair can feel like a huge accomplishment depending on how your day is going. Start a running list of the little things you accomplish each day so that you can remember that in the grand scheme of things, there are things more important than always doing school work.

7. Your Current Favorites

This would be cool as a monthly list! Write down all of your favorite foods, movies, shows, songs, colors, etc. that you have right now (adding to it as you get more, of course). When the month ends, start a new list. Once you have a few, compare them and see how your tastes change as time goes on!

8. BIG Goals

While you probably won’t have the satisfying effect of crossing one of these off every day, once you are able to check one off you will feel amazingly relieved. Write down big things that will take days, weeks, maybe even months or years to complete. It can be easy to forget what we want to accomplish in life, so having them down in writing will make sure they’re always easily accessible to refresh your memory. You can also make sub-lists of steps to take to reach these big goals.

The truth is, anything can be made into a list, really! Find a system that works for you and stick to it. Lists are great for both short and long-term ideas, and there is just something special about writing stuff down on paper. Writing things down also helps you remember them! Over time you can even refer back to these lists to see how you’ve grown and developed. Happy listing!

Lead Image Credit: Glenn Carstens-Peters via Unsplash

Alexa Marzina - University of Pittsburgh

Alexa is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in nonfiction English writing and pursuing a certificate in American Sign Language. She also plays clarinet in the University of Pittsburgh Varsity Marching Band. One day, Alexa hopes to own at least three corgis. Follow her on Twitter @alexa_lou and Instagram @_alexalou