by Alexa Marzina

52 Unique Journal Entries to Get You Writing

By Alexa Marzina - Feb 22 2017

Journaling can very therapeutic; writing your thoughts down is good for two things, remembering them or forgetting them. Whether you want to do one or the other, the act of writing stuff down can be a bit of a personal catharsis for you. However, the problem many people encounter is writer’s block — sometimes you want to write but just don’t know where to start! For those times, here is a list of 52 journal entries to keep you busy for a whole year (if you do one a week).

1. If you were a supernatural being (i.e. mage, werewolf, vampire, etc.) tell the story of how you became what you are or first learned of your own abilities.

2. Write what your favorite color tastes, feels and smells like without naming it.

3. Write about the most significant moments of your life so far, but backward.

4. Write about your favorite thing in the world as if it were your greatest fear.

5. Write a really angry letter to someone you’re angry with right now (you probably shouldn’t actually send it, though).

6. List all of the contents of your bookbag/purse/pockets right now and then write a story about them.

7. Do you have any nicknames? Reflect on how/when you received them.

8. Start each sentence with, “I was born…” and make up some extravagant places, times, feelings, etc. that you were “born.”

9. Write a stream of consciousness — everything you’re thinking as you’re thinking it without pausing or thinking what you’re going to say next.

10. Describe your perfect lover.

11. Write the rules and directions to a new sport that hasn’t been invented yet.

12. Write a short story where all the characters are animals.

13. Write about going to out to dinner with your hero/role model.

14. Create a new reality show. Who are the participants? What are they competing for? What kind of challenges do they have to complete?

15. Talk about your adventures as you battle/travel alongside your favorite video game character.

16. Write a genuine thank you note to someone who gave you a gift you hated.

17. Write your obituary as if you died 50 years from now.

18. Write a letter of recommendation for yourself.

19. Right after you wake up, write down every single detail that you remember of your dreams.

20. Write a short story but all of the words have to be in alphabetical order.

21. If you had nine lives, how would you live each one?

22. Rewrite the lyrics to your favorite song.

23. Place yourself in your favorite fictional universe and describe your adventures.

24. Create the ideal situation in which you meet your future spouse.

25. Try to describe your favorite place with just the senses of smell, taste and sound.

26. Write a story in which the first word of each sentence creates a different sentence/story.

27. Write a news report about yourself accomplishing a task that you hope to do in the future.

28. Rewrite parts of your favorite book from a different character’s perspective.

29. Close your eyes and draw random lines/shapes on paper. Write about what you see in your creation.

30. Write about a time in your life when you struggled with a choice but chose the right one.

31. Talk about the most difficult day (physically, mentally or emotionally) of your life so far.

32. What is your spirit animal and why?

33. Describe the sounds you hear as you try to fall asleep at night.

34. Talk about the worst physical pain you’ve ever been in, or describe what you image would be the most painful thing to experience.

35. What color was your childhood bedroom? How do you feel about this color now? Do you see it ever in your daily life?

36. What is a skill that you’ve always wanted to learn but haven’t yet? Why haven’t you started?

37. Write a list of tiny goals that you want to complete and how/when you can do them.

38. Write about the biggest, most elaborate task you want to complete in your lifetime.

39. If you want to have kids, what kind of parent do you think you want to be based on the life experience you have right now?

40. What are several songs that inspire you and why?

41. Vividly describe the tastes and aromas of some of your favorite food and beverages.

42. What do you think the most admirable quality a person can have is? Do you see this in yourself? Why or why not?

43. Write about your favorite childhood memory and why it’s your favorite.

44. What was the happiest/saddest/angriest/etc. you’ve ever been? Why did you feel this way?

45. Write a recommendation for a class that you hate/aren’t good at as if it’s your favorite.

46. Choose a complicated theory or concept and try to describe it as if you were teaching five-year-olds.

47. Discuss how you see or don’t see the seven deadly sins (lust, greed, gluttony, pride, wrath, sloth and envy) in yourself.

48. Which of the seven cardinal virtues (faith, hope, charity, fortitude, justice, prudence and temperance) is the most important to you and why?

49. Go to a public place and people watch. Make up short life stories about the people you see.

50. If you had to choose one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be, how would you prepare it and why did you choose this?

51. What are some fears you had during your childhood/earlier life that you have since conquered? How did you overcome them?

52. How do you wish for people to remember you after you die? What steps can you take to start this legacy?

So there you have it, one journal entry a week for a year! This should be able to occupy a decent chunk of your time while also soothing your soul. These can be as long or as short as you want or need them to be, and they most certainly don’t have to be completed in any specific order. This list may seem intimidating but just remember, if you’re writing then you’re a writer!

Lead Image Credit: Aaron Burden via Unsplash

Alexa Marzina - University of Pittsburgh

Alexa is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in nonfiction English writing and pursuing a certificate in American Sign Language. She also plays clarinet in the University of Pittsburgh Varsity Marching Band. One day, Alexa hopes to own at least three corgis. Follow her on Twitter @alexa_lou and Instagram @_alexalou