by Alex Evans

7 Problems All Commuter Students Have

By Alex Evans - Oct 15 2015

It's no secret that commuter students have as many, if not more, problems than residents when it comes to school. Here are some difficulties I face that many other commuter students share.

1. The Commute to School

This is most definitely at the top of the list for most commuting students. Whether you live 10 minutes away or an hour away, the drive can be a huge struggle. There's nothing worse than having to leave super early for school because of impending traffic. 

www.theodysseyonline.com

2. Parking

I never have a problem with finding a parking space on campus, however, the same can't be said for the majority of college commuters. Many students are left without a parking space, forcing some to wait a ridiculously long time for a spot and possibly make them late for their classes in the process. It's not uncommon to see some people park in handicapped or fire-zone areas out of complete desperation.

www.funnyasduck.net

3. Getting Involved

It can be really difficult to get involved on campus as a commuter student. Even if you do join various clubs and organizations, some may meet at times that are inconvenient for you due to the distance from which you commute.

4. Feeling Like You Belong

It's hard to feel like a true part of your school when you don't reside on campus. I sometimes feel like I'm just a part-time student. My advice for other commuters is to just get involved on campus as much as you can so you'll feel like an important part of your school's community, even if you don't spend your nights there.

www.pinterest.com

5. Schedules

There's truly nothing worse for a commuter than having an 8 AM class followed by one at 6 PM. It's not worth going through the hassle of driving back home and then driving to campus again, but you can use this time wisely to study in the library or hang out with friends.

www.images.wisegeek.com

6. Early Classes

Getting up for an 8 AM class is bad enough if you live on campus, but commuters, especially those with a long commute, have to get up an hour or two in advance in order to get to class on time. 

www.hercampus.com

7. Making Friends

No one wants to go through college without finding that core group of friends, and for commuters it's a lot harder. Even though you aren't around at night to hang out and meet new people, the opportunities for this can arise in your classes and in commuter lounges, which many schools now have.

Alex Evans - William Paterson University

Alex is currently a freshman at William Paterson University in New Jersey. He's a journalism major and loves to write about anything from sports to politics. Aside from school, he enjoys golfing, fishing, and Netflix. Alex currently serves as a social curator for Fresh U as well. Follow him on Instagram @alexevans_15