Display fab lentz 253417
by Alejandra Arevalo

5 TED Talks to Become a Better You

By Alejandra Arevalo - Oct 30 2017

Although we're halfway through the semester, college life might still be overwhelming. You might have just finished midterms, or be right in the middle of them, and your stress level might have reached its peak. Take a break by watching these five TED talks that will not only motivate you to keep going, but to become a better version of yourself. Let the wise words be with you.

1. Why Some of Us Don't Have One True Calling

Kids are always asked: what do you want to do when you grow up? Although we might want to pursue different areas, adults expect only one answer. You want to be an engineer and fashion designer, or a doctor and chef. That's absurd, they would say. Emilie Wapnick proves them wrong showing that people with multiple interests do better in life. Suddenly undecided became the best college major.

2. Why Thinking You're Ugly Is Bad for You

It’s common that babies feel fascinated by their reflection in the mirror. They kiss it, giggle and can’t stop seeing it. When did we stop loving ourselves in this way? Meaghan Ramsey poses this question and shows that self-appreciation is the only way to success in all aspects of our lives. I'll start hugging myself.

3. All It Takes Is 10 Mindful Minutes

Studying for midterms, going to parties and doing laundry are common activities in our crazy lives. Yet, we usually forget the importance of having time for ourselves. Andy Puddicombe shows us that 10 minutes of peace daily is all you need to be happier. Ten minutes doing nothing, I bet you can do it for longer.

4. The Power of Believing That You Can Improve

We have all went through the frustration of failing a test. Maybe we didn’t study hard enough, but sometimes we just felt that the topic was too difficult for us to learn. After facing failure we get discouraged and stop trying. Carol Dweck proves it is not that we aren’t smart enough to solve a problem, it is just that we haven’t solved it yet. Let's tell our professors.

5. Try Something New for 30 Days

Aren't you tired of your routine? There are some things we can't take out of our lives, like college classes, but trying to add new activities or taking out unhealthy habits is always possible. Matt Cutts shows us that we should try to do this for 30 days. If we love our new activity, we can keep on doing it. If we don't, no shame, just try something new. Rock climbing, anyone?

Watch these five TED talks, follow their advice and see how you'll smoothly finish the semester, not only with amazing academic results, but feeling better with yourself as well. 

Alejandra Arevalo - New York University