Display lights party dancing music
by Alejandra Arevalo

5 Songs to Add to Your College Party Playlist if You Loved 'Despacito'

By Alejandra Arevalo - Jul 13 2017
The main focus of going to college is academics, but social life should be just as important. Even if you weren't the type of person who went to parties during high school, they could become something common during your college life. But to have great parties, equally great music is needed. If you had the "Despacito fever," here are five songs you should add to your college party playlist:

1. "Me Rehúso" by Danny Ocean

The Venezuelan singer living in Miami mysteriously debuted in 2016 with his song "Me Rehúso." This year he launched the English version "Baby I Won’t," which is less popular but just as good as its forerunner. If you can’t choose between them, have the best of both worlds by listening to the remix.

2. "Vente Pa’Ca" by Ricky Martin ft. Maluma

The song's highlight is definitely Ricky Martin's sensual voice calling you to come over. ("Vente pa'ca" means "come here.") But if you think it misses female vocals, try listening to the four official English versions featuring the K-Pop vocalist Wendy of Red Velvet, the Australian pop singer Delta Goodrem, India's Raw Star Akasa Singh and the Taiwanese singer A-lin.

3. "Súbeme la Radio" by Enrique Iglesias ft. Descemer Bueno, Zion & Lennox

"Turn up the radio" is the phrase Iglesias can't stop saying in this song (and you'll do the same whenever you listen to it). The hit is so good that British Youtube star Conor Maynard couldn't stop himself from singing it (with a perfect Spanish accent, to be honest).

4. "Chantaje" by Shakira ft. Maluma

"Chantaje" perfectly combines electro, pop and reggaeton to create a catchy melody that won't get out of your head. Although Maluma's voice suits the song, you must listen to how Chris Martin from Coldplay performed it at the Global Citizen Festival Hamburg.

5. "Ya Me Enteré" by Reik ft. Nicky Jam

The Mexican group became popular thanks to its romantic ballads in Spanish but then impressed its fans with songs in English, Portuguese and Italian. Now, the group is doing reggaeton versions of its ballads featuring Nicky Jam and Zion & Lennox. Best. Decision. Ever.

Even if you aren't into Latin music, remember that college is a time to try new things. Look for music styles and artists you hadn't thought of before — you will find your new obsessions.

Let the party begin!

Alejandra Arevalo - New York University

Alejandra Arevalo is a sophomore at NYU studying journalism and sociology. She is a passionate foodie, art lover and adventure-seeker. Her dream job is to work for a major international newspaper, as a reporter or photojournalist, discussing social issues.