Display errol 337193
by Alaba

10 Novels to Read on Long Journeys

By Alaba - Dec 20 2017

A constant staple in the contemporary world, travelling has always and will probably always be something that people do. Long journeys tend to wear anyone out whether they are for school, business or leisure.

As someone who takes pleasure in particularly long trips, I have compiled a nice list of novels you can dive into if you want the endless journey to speed by. These novels can be enjoyed by almost anybody. Most likely when you start, you’ll find yourself aching to finish them as soon as possible.

1. No Good Deed by M. P. McDonald (#1 in Mark Taylor Series)

Goodreads

Personally, I loved every book in the Mark Taylor Series. I have actually read the entire series over three times – which tells a lot about the quality. This is the first book in the iconic series that follows the life of Mark Taylor, a photographer who buys an antique camera that produces images of future tragedies. Mark is pushed to try to prevent the tragedies from occurring and save lives. This drive lands him in trouble when he sees and tries to prevent the events of 9/11. If you’re a fan of realistic fiction this is definitely a book you have to read. Buy it here. 

2. To Trust a Stranger by Karen Robards

Goodreads

What list of books to read is complete without the standard romance novel? This is an intriguing read that puts in elements of adventure, mystery and sizzling romance, if you like that sort of thing. When P.I. Mac McQuarry gets hired by the wife of his arch nemesis to find out if he is cheating, things get heated as danger closes in on them from all sides. It’s a great blend of romance, humor and mystery. Get it here

3. The Fury by Alexander Gordon Smith

Goodreads

Do you want to feel the blood rush through your veins, all because of a simple book? If you answered yes, this is the book for you. I found the story within the pages of this book so nerve-wracking that I locked myself in the bathroom for my own protection. The story centers on the lives of three teenagers who find that all of a sudden, everyone who meets them has the irresistible and manic desire to kill them. Friends, family and even total strangers turn on them and they must struggle to survive in this new era. Okay, so maybe I just get scared easily… anyway, it’s worth the read. Get it here. 

4. Hostage by Chris Bradford (#1 in Bodyguard series)

Goodreads

If you love YA action this is definitely the book for you. Fans of Cherub and Alex Rider will enjoy this series completely. It follows an organization that uses teenagers as bodyguards for young targets. In this one, our beloved protagonist, 14-year-old Connor Reeves is charged with protecting the president’s daughter… and she doesn’t know it. A beautifully action-packed story that will definitely leave you wanting more! Get it here. 

5. The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman (#1 in Left Hand of God Trilogy)

Goodreads

Now, this book requires some of patience to get through, if I’m being honest. The writing is all over the place and really unfocused but oh my, it is a wonderful story that is being told. If you aren’t particularly picky about the way people should write, then it’s fine; you will enjoy the book without noting any of the literary faux-pas that Paul Hoffman happily commits.

This story is what I will call a diamond in the rough. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic earth where Thomas Cale (age unknown, but around 14 or 15) lives in the Sanctuary of the Redeemers, an actual hell-hole run by extremely religious warrior monks. Kids are kept here and trained in the brutal ways of the Redeemers, murdered on whim, beaten and starved to within inches of their lives. It’s a pretty dreary existence. Thomas sees something he shouldn’t and tries to do the impossible… escape. If that description doesn’t pique your interest, I don’t know what will. Get it here. 

6. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Goodreads

I always start gushing when I think about this book because it is literally one of the most perfect books (for me) that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. How can I describe how well formed the plot is, how realistic the characters are as individuals, how fast-paced and breathless the scenes leave you? It is an awesome read. This is labelled as a YA fantasy epic because it is huge and filled with so many twists and turns that you are desperate to finish no matter what. It centers around six major characters who plan to pull the biggest heist in history for an insane sum of money. They must work together even if they do not trust or like each other, led by the greatest anti-hero (in my personal opinion) yet, Kaz Brekker. And of-course, this faultless blend of fantasy, action, humor and yes, romance is part of a duology. Thank me later. Get it here.

7. Misery by Stephen King

oodreads

There has to be at least one classic and super popular writer on this list, so I will graciously allow Stephen King to take the spot. Even if I have a love-hate relationship with his books, I found this novel intriguing and well-written. 'Misery' tells the story of Paul Sheldon, a novel writer, who gets into an accident and is rescued by his number one fan, Annie Wilkes. Plot twist: Annie Wilkes is freaking crazy. Paul is trapped and does what he can to survive, biding his time and possibly even descending into a form of madness caused by his even crazier captor, Annie. The story is fast-paced and gripping, perfect for anyone who wants to experience a fearsome roller coaster with no supernatural loops, rather just the grittiest and most twisted portions of human nature. Get it here.

8. The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson

Goodreads

As all tastes differ, this is a nice comedic book to get you giggling and wondering at the idiocy of life. Personally, as a bigger fan of actual action and realistically good plots, I found this book good at best. But if you enjoy manic comedy and lots of random funny characters this is your cup of tea. The story follows the life of Nombeko, a genius girl from Soweto, South Africa who managed to acquire possession of the 7th nuclear missile the South African government developed through a series of hilarious and unbelievable events. She escapes to Sweden with said nuclear bomb in tow and the rest is history. It was a fun read and if you need a simple stand alone, this is it! Get it here

9. Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Goodreads

You may know the movie, but do you know the book? I enjoyed this book so thoroughly even if it wasn’t my typical cup of tea. At the end, I had happy tears threatening to fall. If you love warm coming of age stories, this is the book you should read! It is the strange life of Augustus (Auggie) Pullman, a little boy with severe facial deformities that is going to school for the first time. He is entering 5th grade and has to deal with this new dynamic being added to his life. It's such a beautiful, positive and heart-warming story; you may have a goofy smile on your face at the end too. Get it here. 

10. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Goodreads

Last but not least, here is an actually classically famous farce. Disclaimer: I have not read the play because I do not particularly enjoy reading plays, but a friend of mine highly recommended it for anyone who does read plays. It is hilarious, deep and intriguing all at once in a way that leaves you laughing but also morally enriched. It also an easy read, so you will tear through it in a short time, depending on how interested you are in it! Get it here

Now you have an awesome list of books to escape into from boring reality. Feel free to explore more books by any of the authors and playwrights here because for most of them, I have read more than one of their works, and trust me, they did not disappoint either.

As part of Amazon's Affiliate Program, Fresh U may receive a portion of sales resulting from this article. 

Alaba - Syracuse University