by Aggie Kallinicou

What A Trump Win in November Means for Women

By Aggie Kallinicou - Jul 07 2016

Actually Trump, we do. 

What's scary is that Trump wants to take away freedoms that we, as women, already fought to attain. For example, recently the Supreme Court made a landmark decision in Whole Women's Health v. Hellerstedt. In a 5-3 decision, the Court struck down the Texas law that put numerous restrictions on abortion clinics. This law would've shut down nearly every clinic in the state, taking away the right to an abortion granted to women in Roe v. Wade many years ago. 

As people all over the country celebrated the Court's decision to respect a woman's right to have control over her body, Trump decided it was time to make quite a statement. According to an article featured on, "Four days after the court’s decision, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee told 'The Mike Gallagher Show' that the outcome would have been different if he were in the White House." He continued, saying that the decision would've been reversed if he were able to nominate a conservative to the Court. But, the decision was 5-3, meaning that the addition of another conservative justice would still mean a 5-4 victory. Curious as to how Trump would've managed this? So is the rest of the country.

What I've learned from Trump's reaction to this decision is that he doesn't intend to uphold or respect the decision made in Roe v. Wade. Although presidents in the past have been pro-life, including Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush, they did not threaten to restrict abortion access like Trump has. Regardless of ideology, the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade must be respected and upheld, and he seems to be in disagreement with that. 

Another unpleasant quality of Trump's is how sexist he is. Based on his comments, he holds absolutely no respect for women. Knowing that Trump could be the next president of the United States is terrifying to say the least because he will not represent women well, if at all. He holds an archaic view of women. Elite Daily quoted him saying, "I'll supply the funds and she'll take care of the kids." While this is a perfectly good role for some women, it should not be the role of every woman. Rather than making motherhood seem wonderful and rewarding, he has turned it into a trap for all women to fall into regardless of what each individual woman wants.

Throughout his campaign, Trump has made comments such as, "26,000 unreported sexual assaults in the military - only 238 convictions. What did the geniuses expect when they put men and women together?" To me, this comment shows that Trump isn't going to do anything about the steady increase of sexual assault in America. Not only is this happening in the military, it has run rampant all over the country, especially in settings such as college campuses. According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, one in five women are sexually assaulted during their college career. If Trump thinks that this is normal and acceptable, we will most likely not see a decrease in sexual assault during his presidency. According to him, it's to be expected. 

The views that Trump holds regarding women and sexual assault are views that hold our country back from progressing in a positive direction. Rather than fighting to decrease sexual assault, Trump writes it off as normal. Rather than fighting to give women more freedom, Trump threatens to take current freedoms away. Before you vote in November, make sure to think about how a Trump presidency will affect your basic freedoms as well as the status and progress of America as a whole. As writer and activist Gloria Steinem says, "By confronting the problems once marginalized as 'women's issues,' we can tackle the greatest dangers of the 21st century."

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons

Aggie Kallinicou - DePaul University

Aggie Kallinicou is a freshman at DePaul University in Chicago majoring in Political Science and minoring in Peace, Justice, and Conflict Studies.